Chapter 81

Notes:

Additional Cast:

Dulce Maria as Nina Andrews

Ansel Elgort as Matt Foster

Vanessa's POV

Back to campus. Isn't it great.

I exhale heavily and press the button to the second floor. At least today it's Sunday and I can stay at the dorms and enjoy some more hours of safety. I am going to deal with tomorrow when it comes. I get to our floor and greet the crowd in the hallway. It seems like everyone has just arrived, because there are suitcases almost everywhere, and they are all catching up, since they haven't seen each other since spring break. I try to be polite and speak as less as possible about my first spring break experience. There is only one person I am eager to see right now and talk to till I am left out of words.

I open the door to our room impatiently. I was never so happy to see it as messy as it is now. Suitcase open on the floor and piles of clothes all around. And there she is.

"Alice!" I scream her name unable to hold back the enthusiasm and the relief that take over me as I see my friend. I toss my suitcase on the floor and rush over her and embrace her tightly.

"Vanessa!" she screams and she hugs me tight as well.

"I am so happy to see you." I say almost whispering as I let her go. I promised myself I'll keep it together. Breathe Vanessa, breathe. I hook my arms around her one more time, staying like this for a while. "I am so happy to see you." I repeat.

"Wow! I haven't realized that you missed me so much. Besides, we were talking over the phone every day!" she smiles to me.

"I know. I haven't realized that either. It's kind of funny." I giggle briefly. "I am sorry, I must have been really annoying, calling you everyday, talking about the same thing non-stop. Did you have fun this past week?"

"Vanessa, if you were annoying, you know that I would have told you." she giggles. "FYI you weren't and I wish I could do more about it!" she caresses my arm. "It was really fun! I saw my high school friends and my dad even if it was for 2 days." she shrugs. "What about you?"

"Still, I have to-I mean I need to thank you. You are the only person that knows about... um, you know, about what happened and I just feel like I am trapped." I run my hands through my hair frustrated. "Anyway," I say letting out a heavy sigh, "I am glad you had fun! And it's a big deal that you managed to see your dad for two whole days! That's wonderful! I know it means a lot to you since he is always working. I... Well, I had fun too. I saw my mom and my dad. And Emma was home too so we spent time together as well. We even made a small trip with her youngest sister Lindsay. She is adorable, really!"

"That's great!" Alice exclaims and sits on her bed. "Have you considered telling Emma about the pool incident or something about the one who must not be named?" she asks me.

"Not a single word. She left today for Europe and I didn't want to trouble her with this." I sit on my bed opposite from her. "Well, to be honest, I don't think I could tell her. I am still too embarrassed about what happened."

"Don't be!" Alice says firmly. "It happened for a reason and that reason was to wake you up. Sometimes we need a strong alarm to bring us back from the dream world and help us realize some things." She takes a pillow in her lap.

"It sounds so easy when you say it. I am glad I have you as my friend, Alice." I tell her smiling. She always knows what to do and say when things get tough.

"Believe me it's not. I am talking from experience." She says calmly.

"That's sort of disheartening." I look at her frowning. "Oh my God, what will I do? I don't believe I can pull this off!" I slumb my back on the bed and facepalm.