Chapter 13

Dedication: We want to thank our dear friend LonelyArmadillo, who is one of our first readers and patient enough to correct our mistakes. Your comments are pure gold. XOXO

Check out her story if you want. She is an amazing writer and we are hooked by her book.

Note:

Additional Cast:

Grey Damon as Ashton Sanders

Valorie Curry as Anna Matthews

Vanessa's POV

Here we go week two. It's already Wednesday and I've been super busy. To me, the beginning of the semester is everything. You have to organize your responsibilities, do the necessary research and study to be prepared. That being said, I have to go to the library tomorrow to check what books are available for my classes. Maybe I could tell Sophie to join me. Our first attempt to hang out turned to be better than I could've ever imagined. We made a bit of conversation and laughed with her friend Joseph and Alice, who almost got us kicked out of the cinema. Poor Alice, what a small world it is and what a luck to run into the one you never intended to see again. I can relate to that. Anyway, both cinema and library don't include much talking so I think it could work for me and Sophie. I am texting her now. I won't push her for any other social activities until she gets to really like me.

Today the newspaper's editor returns and I've been told to stop by the office so I do. I can hear the sound of the clipboards typing and I feel like I am just at the place I'm supposed to be. Anna, who I gave my application to last week, greets me from the front desk.

"You're here to see the big boss?" she asks and puts her pencil behind her ear.

"Yeah. Can you inform him that I'm here?"

"Inform him? Nope, don't stand over there girl, you can go inside. Ashton is really cool. His office is at the end of the hallway."

I thank Anna and walk over the office. There's no sign to show any formality or that it is actually the editor's office. The door is half open and I hear conversation. I stand awkwardly deciding if I should wait or knock. I go with option two.

"Come in." A brown haired boy with magnetic green eyes is laying his back on the desk talking to a guy named Vincent, who I recognize from Introduction to Journalism.

"That would be it for now Vinc, and don't forget the interview." He hits him friendly on the back and walks him out of his office.

"Hey Vanessa", Vincent tells me before stepping out. I greet him with a nod.

"Vanessa it is. I am Ashton. Nice to meet you and welcome to the gang." He shakes my hand and smiles.

"Nice to meet you, too. Is it okay to call you Ashton? I mean, you are the editor after all..." I say unsure. His smile widens.

"Do I look like that kind of snob?"

"No, I didn't mean..."

He laughs and I join him.

"You need to loosen up a little. Everybody here is equal. I just happen to do the editing thing." He tells me.

I immediately feel relaxed. He's such a nice and humble person. Anna told me that his article on immigration got him the first place last year in the most important journalism contest. Thanks to that, he got an internship to the TIMES for the summer which lasted until now. His eyes go from mine to the rest of my body. I'm sure I've turned red by now. He smiles once again, sits at his chair and tells me to sit down too.