thirty-three

AALIYAH

"can i steal her away from you for a minute?"
miles asked grabbing destiny's hand,mid conversation.

miles had been taking destiny from me for the past two hours since we've been at this event.

"at this point,keep her!"
i rolled my eyes walking away from them,looking for the bathroom.

there was only about an hour and a half left of the event before the night ended and midnight came.

over time,i just got more and more aggravated and tired.

i had been up all day,i was tired,i needed a shower and i was ready to go home and get out of these fucking heels.

i tried my hardest not to let my irritation show through,smiling through every long lasting conversation.

before i could find the bathroom,a finger tapped on my shoulder making me turn around to see who it was.

a waiter stood in front of me,with his arms folded.
"the williams are requesting you."

he led me to the williams in the corner of the room,talking to a group of other people.

"aaliyah! we want you to meet somebody."
mr williams smiled calling me over.

"this is our good friend,Janette McCoy.she's like family to us and she's been very interested in meeting you."
he beamed.

i stuck my hand out shaking hers as she did the same.

Janette was an older lady who even just by looking at her,you could tell she had money.

and not new money,it was old money.you could tell she knew how to use it well,by the diamonds on her neck and in her ears.

"it's lovely to meet you,i've heard such great things about you."
she greeted me.

"so,what part of the hills do you live in? i've never seen you around before."
she smiled.

i glanced up at aaron before smiling back at her.
"i actually,well i mean-i don't-"

"aaliyah doesn't live near the hills,she lives in kings landing."
mrs williams answered for me.

her face fell as she looked back at me.
she hummed.
"well,that's unfortunate."

oh my god,here we go again.

"well,are you a mutual friend of the williams or how did you guys meet?"
she asked.

i stuttered over my words again before mrs williams spoke up for me which i did not need her to.

"aaliyah actually works for us,she set up most of this event."

her words got caught in her chest as she looked at me once again in despair.

"well,that is not what i was expecting."
she laughed it off.

"so aaliyah,what do you plan on doing after you graduate? if you make it that far anyway."
she mumbled the last part.