thirty-four

NARRATOR

"you know that i love you,and i appreciate you being here for me,right?"
aaron asked as they sat on his bed.

"aaron,where is this going? and can it hurry up,i'm supposed to be meeting nikki in twenty."

jessica sat on the end of his bed as he tried to find a way to tell her he didn't have feelings for her anymore.

"i wanna breakup."

her eyes immediately came off of her phone screen as she looked him in the eyes,trying to find some sort of joke.

"you're kidding right?"
she smiled as she looked back to her screen,completely unfazed.

aaron had been with jessica for some time now and he had enjoyed it somewhat for the most part.

even though jessica was incredibly selfish and tone deaf,in the beginning,the relationship thrived and he was grateful for those good times they spent together.

and although he did at some point love jessica,he wasn't exactly in love with her.
his heart just wasn't in it anymore.

if it ever was.

"no."

she let her phone fall as she looked at him in shock.

jessica had grown up in a very toxic household.
her hispanic parents always wanted her to exceed their expectations and never expected anything less.

so once jessica got to a certain age,she stopped caring about other peoples opinions and expectations.

she only followed her own and believed that the only person who could tel her that she was doing wrong was herself.

"but why? aaron don't fuck with me right now!"
she yelled at him as he rubbed his head.

"i'm not fucking with you jessica,i can't be in this relationship anymore.you're holding me down and i can't-"

"well what can i do to fix it? i can change,i-i can be nicer or i can-"

"no,don't do that to yourself."
he told her putting a hand on her leg.

as much as aaron wished jessica could just change herself to fix his expectations,he knew that it was no use.

he would rather them breakup than for her to change herself completely only for his enjoyment.

he couldn't do that to her,even if he really wanted to.

one thing that aaliyah had taught him was that,everybody was different,and you could only do so much to help.

sometimes you just had to sit back and hope that they want to help themselves.

"it's because of her isn't it?"
she asked,tears watered in her eyes as she tried her hardest not to cry in front of him.

she shook his head,not wanting her to think that way.

just because aaliyah had come into his life and they have formed a new bond,didn't mean he wanted to break up with jessica,especially after the kiss.