nineteen

(pov switch)

AARON

tonight was the night.
the first game of my last highschool basketball season.

this was gonna be a good one,i could feel it.

everybody was talking about it during school today.

telling me good luck and that they knew i had this in the bag.
and i did.

but i knew that even if i did have it it the bag,there would be nobody there to cheer me on.

jessica comes to my games every once in a while,but she never pays attention.

she just hangs out around the school with her friends,staying the bathroom during most of the game.

everybody else on the other hand was being supported.

chris's dad had found a way to make it to the game on time after a meeting,juniors mom was at every game,and miles-

i already knew his family was gonna be there.

one of the many things i envied about miles was the fact that he had a good support system.

his dad was at every event that we had had so far and i overheard him telling anthony how he gave aaliyah his second jersey to wear.

my second jersey was at home,in my closet.
being worn by nobody.

but it was ok.
i was gonna do fine regardless of who was watching me.

all of us guys had already warmed up,and we were all waiting in the locker room to be called out.

coach came into the locker room giving us a pep talk before we started.

"alright,you guys know what to do.first game of the season,for some of you,the last.make it count,alright get those warmups off."
he clapped walking out of the room.

we all took off our warmups,revealing our red and blue jerseys and what numbers we all had.

of course,i had the luckiest number of them all.
7.

chris had number 83,junior had 10,anthony had 12,and miles had the best number on the team.
23.

many of us were mad that coach had given miles the number that everybody wanted,straight off the bat.

but coach had gave us a lecture about how it doesn't matter what number you get,your number doesn't effect how you play,you do.

and that was the end of that.

i stood by my locker,shaking out my nerves and taking deeps breaths before chris came up to me.

"yo,chill out.you know you got this.we got this."
he held his hand out.
"dap me up."

i grabbed his hand hugging him before pulling away.
"let's do this."

i nodded as we all stood in a line ready to go out once they called our names.

coach stood by the door,waiting to give us the signal.
after the locker room went quiet he gave us a simple thumbs up before we all ran out of the locker room and into the gym.