forty-six

tw: mention of abuse and death*

aaron

i crouched down,holding onto the railing before sitting down completely,looking out at the view.

"it looks really pretty."
i tried easing my way into a conversation awkwardly.

out of the corner of my eye,i saw aaliyah holding a small smirk,trying not to laugh.

"i'm not gonna jump,if that's what you're scared of."
she clarified.

"i've done this tons of times so,you don't have to treat me like i'm five,ok?"

i nodded as i sighed.
"good."
i said cautiously.

she let in a big breath as the wind blew past our faces.
"i have to tell you something."
she let out.

i glanced over at her,not wanting her to get too scared.
"is it about,the accident?"
i paused.

she nodded slowly as she adjusted herself,scooting closer to me.

she laid her head on my shoulder comfortably,and i let her.

"his name was travis."
she paused.
"fields,we met during sophomore year and he was a year older than me."
she explained.

"he was the epitome of a high school stereotype. he was good looking and he was great at sports,and he was popular,he had it all."

"he was new and all of my friends thought he was a pretty good guy so they set me up with him,and he was. he was sweet and he cared about everybody.he had a really big heart,at least at first."

i sighed,feeling her tense up beside me,letting her tell her story.

"but then he changed,out of nowhere.once i got comfortable around him,he just wasn't the same."

i furrowed my eyebrows in confused.
"you mean after you guys had-"

"yeah,after that."
she cleared her throat.
"he was rude and disrespectful and abusive."

i felt my breath get caught in my throat.

"he would never let me go anywhere,and he was always making sure he knew where i was and who i was with. it was like i was being watched.

and then,slowly but surely,he just started abusing me.he would hit me and beat me,my dad found out and he went to his house and beat him up really badly."
she said.

i immediately remembered that day that ryan had told me aaliyah dad had gotten charged.

nor i know why.

"but he would not stop,and i was scared,it was hard and i wanted to get away but i was scared he was gonna kill me."
her breathing stopped.

"but,i knew that it was what i needed to do and it's what everybody wanted for me too.so i waited and then i tried to breakup with him one night."
she told me.

flashback*

"i'm scared."
i admit,looking at miles.