forty-nine

aaliyah

"so,what are we doing for you and miles birthday?"
des asked as she wrote something down in a notebook.

i shrugged.
"i'm not sure - what are you writing?"
i ask.

"the freshman are having a fundraiser for their spring break field trip,so i'm helping student body set it up."
she explained.

i shook my head.
"how are you involved with every single club at this school? how do you even have the time?"
i ask.

she shrugged leaning against the locker.
"i don't know,i just pop in ever once in a while so that i get marked,and it looks good on college applications."

"i haven't even gotten an acceptance letter yet,how about you?"
i ask looking her way.

"a couple from some school around the state,fiu,fau,u of florida,u of miami,fsu,and a couple around the country.some in atlanta,cali,ohio state,but i'm waiting for one from miuad."
she said.

i shook my head rolling my eyes.
"either none of these colleges want me or my application didn't go through."
i said miserably.

"you are gonna get it,it just takes time.don't stress about it,you still have your competition piece to worry about."

i had almost completely forgotten about my competition piece for the organization.

i only had a few months left and so far i had nothing.
i had been spending so much time with aaron that i completely forgot.

"you're right,i forgot."
i rubbed my eyes.
"i'll start on it when i get home."

"oh that reminds me,what are we doing for spring break?"
she looked up.

my eyes wandered around the busy hall.
"it's like a month away."
i laughed.

"so? it's better to be safe then sorry,and i already know everybody's gonna be in Miami,so if we wanna go,we need to book a room now before they're all full."
she told me.

"we'll figure it out,we have time.anyways,i don't want anything big for my birthday."
i explained to her.

she looked at me funny tilting her head.

"i'm not sure about miles but i just want something really chill with a few people—"

"what are you wearing?"
she asked me with furrowed eyebrows.

i shrugged.
"what are you talking about?"
i looked down at my jeans and converse.

"it's eighty degrees and you're wearing a turtles neck.and why is it pulled up so high—"

she leaned in trying to pull my collar down as i leaned back.
"stop."
i whispered.

her mouth flew open as she started laughing making me cover my face as people in the hallway looked.

"you nasty little—i knew your ass wasn't innocent."
she laughed.

i rolled my eyes.
"ok,cry about it.don't act like you and miles don't do shit."
i told her.