seventy-two

narrator

aaron tucked the letter into the envelope before sealing the folds closed.

"are you ready?"
aria peeked her head into her sons room,watching him hide the letter.

"uh yeah,i'm ready."
aaron cleared his throat as he fixed his tie.

aria pouted.
"look at you,all grown up. i cant believe last year you only got two awards,and this year you're getting six."

aaron nodded as he fixed his hair in the mirror.

"are you okay?"
aria wondered.

"yeah?"
aaron asked.
"i'm fine,i'm just nervous that's all."

aria chewed on her cheek.
"you'll do fine.you always do."

aaron nodded,turning back to her.
"could you send dad up when he gets here?"

just as aria was about to answer,bright lights pulled into the driveway.

"there he is now. i'll send him up."
aria told him as she exited the room,mark slowly appearing after.

"you ready? come on let's go. i have to make a stop before the banquet but i'll meet you guys there."
mark told him.

aaron nodded as he exited his room,heading for his car.

mark hummed as he noticed the white envelope peeking out of aaron's notebook,pulling it out and examining it.

aaliyah.

mark took the envelope,tucking it into his suit pocket.

-

aaliyah

i didn't win.

yet somehow,i'm not the least bit mad about it.

maybe just a little.

but i did cut really close.

in my head,i won the the whole thing and now i'm going to whatever college i want,but the second place award sitting on my dresser says otherwise.

deciding to go on this summer road trip with destiny might me the best thing i've done all year.

this could be good for me.

i deserve this

i wanna do this.

i folded another shirt,putting it in a pile,so that i could pack my clothes later.

as i was grabbing my suitcase,the doorbell rang,making me stop before venturing down the steps.

i opened the door,expecting to see miles,asking for his phone that he forgot for the tenth time.

what i wasn't expecting was to see mr Williams standing on my doorstep.

"hi?"
i say confused as he stood in front of my with his arms folded.