forty-one

aaliyah

"so it's official? you're dating the off brand lamelo ball?"
anthony asked as he got his hair cut.

i shot him a middle finger as they all laughed.

me,the boys and destiny were all at the local barber and beauty shop getting our hair done.

the boys were sitting on one end getting cuts,and me and destiny were on the other side,waiting to get our hair braided.

"fuck you,and yeah it's official.he asked me last night."
i told them.

"last night?! you mean you stayed over?"
destiny perked up in her chair.

i smiled slowly as they all looked at me,waiting for my answer.
"yeah."
i shrugged.

they all leaned back in their chairs,conversing without me.
"we didn't even do anything."
i shrug.

"yeah y'all bet not have,or else i might have to stick my foot up his ass."
miles said,leaning his head to the side as the barber cut it.

"how does your dad feel about the whole situation? i mean when i introduced my parents to Monica,they loved her from the start."
junior said.

"yeah well,why wouldn't they? you're parents are sweet and so is Monica,it worked perfectly for y'all.I don't know,i feel like he likes him but at the same time he wants to fight him,and he never tells me how he feels about the fact that we're dating."
i explained.

although me and my dad had a great relationship,when it came to aaron,he was almost always disoriented.

we never talked about him,i never brought him up around him,it was like we were still hiding it to be honest.

even that night at dinner,my dad and aaron exchanged a few words and chuckles,but did not converse,at all.

it makes me wonder if my dad really even wants me to date aaron,or at least cares.

"he's like a kid in the back of the classroom any time he comes around,he stays silent and eyeballs him."
i said.

they all laughed at my words as they tried to give me advice here and there.

"well maybe he's just a little scared,you know ever since the incident,he's been trying to keep a close eye on you."
destiny explained.

and she was most likely right.

after the incident happened,i was barely allowed to leave my house for months.

my dad wanted to make sure that he avoided a situation like that one from ever happening to me again.

and i didn't blame him.

but that was old news,and this was new news.

it was time for me to move on from that part of my life,and start appreciating the new friendships,and relationships,around me.

"yeah,i can see that.but he has to understand,i'm trying to get away from that part of my life,not drown in it."
i fumbled my fingers.