Chapter 74

I wake up on Sunday morning alone. I reach for Luke and find nothing but the cold air and crumpled sheets from where he previously was. I rub my eyes and look around the room in hopes to find him, but smell something instead. 

I step out of our bedroom and find him at the stove, hovering over a skillet full of eggs. 

"Good morning," I say as I take a seat at the bar. 

"Oh, good morning babe. I didn't even hear you come in," he says and turns around to meet my gaze. There are bags underneath his droopy eyes. 

"You look really tired, did you sleep okay?" I ask.

"Uh, not really. Just couldn't get comfortable I guess," I hear him say.

"You know you could've woke me up," I say back.

"I didn't want to interrupt your slumber. You looked too perfect," he responds and I blush at his words. He walks over and puts a plate of eggs in front of me. 

"Thank you, what's this for?" I ask, eyeing the delicious food in front of me. 

"Just wanted to do something for my princess," he says with a sleepy smile. He sits next to me without a plate in front of him.

"Aren't you gonna have some?" I ask.

"Nah, not that hungry." A few seconds later, his phone vibrates on the counter by the fridge. He jogs over to it and texts the person back.

"Who's that?" I nosily ask.

"Just the guys. We're having a band practice today so I won't be home for most of the day," he says back.

"Okay. I'll probably just do homework all day or something."

"I'm gonna take a shower and then head out," he says as he makes his way to our room.

"Do you want me to join you?" I ask with a small smile. 

"It's just gonna be a quick one. I appreciate the offer though," he says. He slowly walks over to me and plants a small kiss on the top of my head before going into our bathroom.

When I finish eating, I rinse my plate off in the sink and snuggle up on our couch with a blanket. I flip through the channels, finding nothing to watch. Finally, Luke comes out of our room. He is wearing a beanie over his still-wet hair. 

"I'm gonna go now babe," he says as he walks over to the couch. "I love you." He kisses my cheek, but I pull him back down to my lips and kiss him gently.

"I love you," I say after I pull away. He smiles sleepily at me before walking out the door, leaving me alone in our huge apartment. 

I spend most of the day watching different T.V. shows until I get a text from my mom. She informs me that they're putting up their Christmas tree today and wants me to join them since I'm still part of the family. I let her know that Luke is gone, so she will have to pick me up.

When she texts me about 15 minutes later letting me know that she was here, I turn off the T.V. and throw on some sweats before heading out. I hadn't seen my mother in a few days, so it was good to see her. Spending a day with my family was just what I needed today.

My mother, Bradley, Troy and I spend about an hour putting up ornaments. It reminded me of all the times that we decorated our tree in the past years. It was weird having a fourth person helping us, but I didn't mind it. I was actually beginning to get used to Troy. I knew that he cared for my mother, and as long as she was happy, I was too. I just hope for his sake that he doesn't hurt her. 

"What do you say we go look at some cars?" My mom asks when we finish. The thought excited me.

"Really?" I ask.

"Why not? You need one. Let's just say it's an early Christmas present," she smiles. 

The four of us head out and look at many different dealerships. I don't find much that I like. Unfortunately, I was very picky. After a few hours of looking, I finally find one that I like. It is a red Buick Encore. It was the perfect size, not too big and not too small. Since Luke has a small car, I figured I should get one at least a little bigger. This one can also hold a few people which would be good for my friends and I. I test drive it and fall in love even more. It rides so smooth and has so many great features. 

"Is this the one?" My mother asks when we get back to the dealership.

"Is it too expensive?" I ask.

"Of course not honey. Don't worry about the price, you pick what you want," she says. Sometimes I forget that my mom makes a pretty good amount of money. 

"I think this is the one," I say with a smile. We make a deal with the dealer and the car is mine. "Thank you so much mom," I say and hug her.

"Anything for you," she says back and hugs me tighter. "Do you wanna come back over for dinner?" She asks me when we pull out of the hug.

I haven't heard from Luke all day and don't know what time he'll be home, so I agree. I drive Bradley and I back home in my new car and we blast music. One cool thing about my car is that it connects to the bluetooth on my phone, so I can play music from my phone through the speakers. Bradley got his taste in music from me, so we like all of the same stuff.

After eating a delicious meal cooked by my mom, I head back home. When I get home, Luke is still not there and I still have no texts or calls from him. I don't really feel like sitting alone all night, so I invite Linley over.

We spend the night watching funny movies and catching up since we haven't seen each other lately. I tell her all about my dad and she comforts me. After a few hours, she decides to go home. I hope that Luke is coming home tonight and she doesn't want to "intrude" on us. 

I feel my eyes getting heavy, so I head to bed. This is the first night that I lay alone in our bed, and I don't like it. I turn on the T.V. and eventually fall asleep wishing that I had Luke here to hold me.