Chapter 42

The school day seemed to go by so slow on Thursday. Each class was filled with learning which I didn't mind, but it made the time go slower. I had usually always listened in class, but lately my mind was too consumed with Luke. It was hard for me to pay attention as I daydreamed about his blue eyes and soft lips on mine. A lot of the time, one of the boys would have to snap me out of it.

Luke's brother had come home two days ago and I finally convinced him to confront him today. I told him that I would go with him, but he insisted on doing it alone. I knew this was a big step for him and I couldn't be more proud. I had a feeling that it would go well and everything would turn out okay. He seemed to be pretty happy at lunch and I was glad that he was in a better mood than he had been the past two days. 

At the end of the day, Luke walked me to Linley's car as usual.

"I love you," he said as he bends down to kiss me.

"I love you. Good luck with Ben," I say to him after his lips leave mine, always leaving me wanting more.

"Thanks babe, I'll be over after." I get into the car and he walks away.

I look over at Linley who has a big smile on her face.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm just glad you're happy," she says before driving away.

"Thanks Lin," I smile back at her. 

She was more supportive than my best friends from back home and I had only known her for a couple of months. I know that the other two don't know Luke personally so of course they're not going to love him, especially not after the way he was in the beginning, but I wish they would just be happy for me. The only thing that should matter is that I am happy and in love. If I was in their position, I would support their decisions and be happy for them no matter what, I say this because I have been in their position many times. 

Lin had known every single detail of mine and Luke's relationship. She knew how much of a jerk he was before I met him and how much of a jerk he actually was to me, and she still loved us together. She had helped me through a lot and I couldn't be more grateful for her. I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't met her at that first party I attended. I needed a best friend to keep me stable, and that's exactly what she did.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

It took me almost all night to do my homework and by the time I finally finished, it was 10 o'clock. For some reason Luke still wasn't here, so I turned on some blink-182 and turned off all of the lights in my room besides the white, string lights I had just recently put up. I changed into a t-shirt of Luke's that I had stolen from his house and a pair of running shorts. The shirt had smelled like him and it overwhelmed my nose. I laid in my bed and listened to the music as I waited for his arrival.

As I lay there, I realize that I've gone through a ton of songs. I look over at my clock and see that it is now 12:30. Luke is never this late and I begin to get worried. He hasn't even texted me to tell me why he wasn't here yet. I calm myself down and tell myself that he is probably just having a good talk with Ben, catching up after not seeing him for a while. I lay back for a few more minutes and slowly start to doze off.

Not even a minute later, I am awakened by the sound of the balcony door. Finally. I yawn and pull myself out of bed. I make my way over to Luke and after he shuts the door he turns around and I gasp. Even in the dim light, I can see a bruise forming around his right eye.

"Luke, what the he-"

I am cut off as his arms wrap around my body tightly. He drops the bag that he had in his hands and buries his face in my hair. I stand there for a moment and hug him back before I pull away. I am heartbroken by the tear-stained cheeks that I am faced with. This is the first time that I've seen Luke cry and it makes me sick to my stomach. I pull him to my bed and lay him down as I crawl in next to him.

As I lay beside him, I put my hands to his face and try to wipe away the tears. It's no use as they keep falling. I pull him tightly against my body and let him cry as much as he needs to into my neck. My skin is soon soaked with the warm drops from Luke's eyes. After a moment he begins sobbing and I hold him as tight as I can, running my hands through his hair gently.

When he finally slows down, I pull away and look at him again. His eyes are bloodshot and glossy, making them more blue than I have ever seen. Who knew someone could look so beautiful as they cry. 

"Are you ready to tell me what happened?" I ask softly.

He nods and I wait until he is ready to speak. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.