Chapter 45

Song I recommend for the chapter: Dust to Dust by The Civil Wars

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The next morning I wake up earlier than I had planned. I open my eyes to find Luke watching me. 

"Good morning," I say with a yawn.

"Morning," he says as he leans in and kisses me. 

"How are you feeling?" I ask him.

"I don't know," he says quietly and shrugs. 

He still looked exhausted and sad. I wish I knew what to do to cheer him up, I hated seeing him like this.  An imaginary lightbulb suddenly appeared above my head and I knew just the thing.

"I have an idea," I say with a smile. "Go get dressed, I'll meet you downstairs in half an hour." 

I loved the fact that he could just walk down the hall to get ready. I walk with him to my door and peak out, making sure my mom was nowhere in sight. 

"You're good," I whisper. He speed walks to his room and shuts the door quietly. I do the same and get ready.

30 minutes later, I walk downstairs to find Luke sitting on the couch with Bradley. They are watching some cartoon and Luke actually laughs. I sigh with relief, he was already starting to feel better and that overjoyed me. I must have sighed too loud because they both turn around and find me standing there.

"Ready?" I ask him. He nods and gets off of the couch, saying goodbye to my brother. "I'm gonna drive us," I tell him as we walk outside. My mother was spending the day working on her garden with Troy, so she let me use the car. 

I pull out my collection of cds from the glove box and put in my favorite blink-182 album. I open the sunroof and roll down all of the windows, letting the wind blow my hair everywhere. As I drive, I occasionally look over and see Luke mouthing the words to the songs. I can't help but gape at how beautiful he looks as the wind slightly moves his quiffed hair, sun shining in his eyes making them glow a bright blue.

When I pull into our usual parking spot at the beach, Luke turns and gives me a smile.

"I thought being here would help you feel a little better," I say as I squeeze his hand. 

"You were right," he says back.

Luke had told me that this was his happy place, so I hoped that it would bring him a little happiness. 

We spend all day at the beach. It's a little more crowded than usual since it's such a beautiful day, but I don't mind. Luke and I spend most of our time playing in the sand or laying out. I didn't tell him to wear swim trunks because I didn't want him to know we were coming here, so we don't get in the water other than to stand with our feet in only. He splashes me which causes a full out war and we end up getting soaked anyways. He picks me up and throws me into the water, it's more cold than usual.

We eventually float back up to the shore and he is laughing at how cold I am. It is great to hear his laugh again and I let it play in my head over and over again. I can't help myself, I push him back and kiss him as he lays on his back in the wet sand. A wave comes up and splashes us and we laugh against each other's lips. 

We end up staying all day and before I know it, the sun is beginning to set. The crowd has died down, leaving only us and a few other people a little ways down the beach.

"Did you have fun today?" I ask him as we lay on the blanket watching the sun sink into the ocean.

"The best day I've had in a while. Thank you for bringing me here," he says with the first real smile I've seen in days. 

"I just wanted you to feel better," I say and kiss his cheek.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you look in the sunlight?" He asks after I pull away and look at the sun again.

"You have now," I smile.

He leans in and gently places his lips against mine. It starts as a small kiss, full of innocence and love. He moves his hand to my face and runs his thumb over my cheek, sending a chill down my spine. I still was not used to his touch and I don't think I ever would be.

As he presses harder into me, I fall back and let him hover his head over mind. My hands go to the back of his neck and I pull him tighter against me. His tongue slips in my mouth and finds mine.

His hands eventually find my waist and lift the hem of my shirt up a tad. I feel the slight breeze against my bare skin, but he's the one that is giving me goosebumps. His lips move down to my neck, sucking at the skin beneath my ear. A moan escapes my lips and he tangles his hands in my hair, kissing harder. 

"I need you Allis," he whispers into my ear. A wave of electricity runs through me.

"Luke," I whine. "We can't. I told you I don't want it to be because you're upset."

"Please," he whispers, now looking at me. 

His eyes are filled with passion and longing, maybe it's not just because he is sad. What if he really did need me?

I think for a long moment, thinking about if this was really the right thing to do. The truth is, I needed him too.

"Not here," I whisper. We quickly gather our things and make our way to the car. I drive away as quickly as I can, not wanting to waste any time.

Maybe this is what will heal him.