Chapter 25

A/N

Obviously some of the stuff about Luke's past isn't true but we're just gonna pretend for story purposes. Thanks for reading :)

xx

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Luke begins to tell me all about his childhood as we lay on the blanket. He grew up in the same house that he lives in now with his parents and two brothers. He didn't become friends with Calum and Michael until a few years ago and met Ashton their freshman year. He told me of all his favorite birthday parties and his past fear of going to the dentist. The Luke he is describing to me seems like a completely different person, a cute, little child. So innocent and curious. Thinking about him like this gave me a different outlook on him; picturing him using his imagination while playing with toys, or crying when he scraped his knee on the sidewalk. It made me adore him that much more.

"So why do I never see or hear about your parents or brothers?" I ask when he stops talking.

"They're not relevant," he says shyly, breaking eye contact.

"Oh come on, you've come this far!" I say as I nudge his shoulder.

"I don't want to talk about them," he says quietly again, staring off into the ocean.

"They're your family, please Luke? I just wanna know about-"

"My parents are dead okay?!" He yells. He is now standing up, arms raised as if he is going to hit something.

My stomach drops, I feel horrible for pushing him into saying that. I look up at him, I can start to see tears form in his eyes. 

"Luke..." I trail off. "I am so sorry," I say after a moment. "I really had no idea." 

He blinks many times and runs his fingers through his hair. I reach my hand up to him. He takes his lip ring in between his teeth and hesitates before taking it in his and sitting down next to me. He keeps his eyes down on his lap and I continue to feel horrible and sick to my stomach. I take his face in my hand and turn it towards me so he will look at me. I look at him with pleading eyes and lay down on my side to face him.

"Come here," I say quietly.

He slowly lays down and faces me. He looks at me once more and I see sadness in his eyes that I have never seen before. I reach my arms towards him and he scoots closer to me. I wrap my arms around his body that seems so small in this moment. I run my fingers through his hair as if petting him like a dog. I expect him to break down in tears any moment.

"It was an accident," I hear him say. He continues to tell me about how him and his parents were on their way home from seeing the Lion King live. He was 8 years old and it was late on a Friday night. The three were laughing at something Luke said and his dad had looked over at his mom as he was laughing. His mom looked ahead and saw a car coming straight towards them. By the time his dad looked, it was too late. The sudden impact from the other car was all that Luke remembered until he woke up in the hospital. 

"The nurse told me that I was the only survivor. I broke my left arm and collar bone, but the only pain I  felt was in my heart. We were hit by a drunk driver, who also died on impact," he explained to me. My head was spinning. "I don't know how I survived, but I sure as hell wish I didn't."

"Luke, don't say that," I say as I pull him back and look him in the eyes.

"I mean it Allis," he says back. "My brothers agree." He looks back down, away from me. 

"No they don't," I argue.

"You don't understand," he shakes his head.

"Then explain it to me," I demand.

He sighs. "My brother Jack moved away as soon as he could and I haven't seen or talked to him since. My other brother, Ben, has hated me ever since. He doesn't live too far from here and he occasionally comes around but it's never a good time for me."

"So wait, do you live alone?" I ask.

"Yep," he says back.

"You live in your house all alone?" I ask again for confirmation.

"Yes," he says again with a sigh. "That's why I didn't want you to take me home..." He trails off.

"Luke, you should've told me," I say with a sad face.

"I didn't want to bring it up. Ever since we got close, I haven't thought about it and things have just been...better," he says shyly as he looks up at me. 

I realize that this is why Luke is the way he is. He lost his parents and he has had nobody for the past few years besides the three boys that I have come to love. He can't help the way he is, and I finally understand that. I feel horrible for thinking such bad things about him in the past and I wish I would have known so I could have been there for him sooner. All I want to do is hold him and comfort him for the rest of my life.

"Allis," he says.

"Yes Luke?" I ask.

"Thank you."

"For what?" I ask again.

"For being you, for letting me into your life. For putting up with my shit," he pauses. "You are the best thing that has come into my life in a long time and even though sometimes I don't show it, I couldn't be more grateful."

I can't help but smile at this. I am left speechless so I do the only thing I can think of. I grab his face in both of my hands and kiss him hard, kiss him with the same passion that he is giving me in return. It is the best kiss we have shared and I don't ever want this moment to end.

I was falling face first for Luke and there was nothing I could do to stop it. 

The thing is, I didn't want to stop.