Chapter 2

"So what do you think?" I hear my mother come up from behind and ask me.

"It's not home," I sigh and even though I don't look at her I know that a frown appears on her face.

"Come on, sweetie, just look at our new house. How can you be mad when you look at that? And this beautiful weather," she breathes in, sulking in the sun. She's right, our new house is giant and the weather is definitely a lot better than the freezing weather back in Ohio.

"I know, I just miss them mom." I lay my head on her shoulder until she turns me to face her.

"I know, honey, and I'm so sorry. But you'll make so many friends here, I just know it. This is a new start for us. Let's make it worth it, at least try. Can you promise me that you'll try?"

I finally give up a smile. "Okay mom, I promise." She brings me into a hug and with that, I'm no longer mad at her. She has that affect on me, and most people.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Since my mom knew how much I gave up, she let me pick what room I wanted first. It wasn't a hard choice when I walked into the room with the giant window seat. It also had a balcony and the best view of the beach that was only a few miles away. I could get used to waking up to that every morning. After unpacking my stuff and exploring the rest of the house, I go downstairs to find my mom decorating the living room.

"Need any help?" I ask her as I see her struggling to put up a picture frame filled with the three of us.

"No, I think I'm alright. Thanks though, hun," she says after she finally gets it in the perfect spot. "You should go do something, sweetheart. I saw a music store on the way here that you might like, it's just a few blocks down. Just turn left out of the neighborhood and you'll find it."

"Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks mom," I yell as I'm already grabbing the keys and out the door. 

Music is my escape from the world and I love discovering new music, so a music store is definitely the first place I should check out. I surprisingly don't get lost on my way there and find it perfectly. It's a cute, little shop and when I walk in, Oh, Calamity! by All Time Low is playing quietly in the background and I realize that this is my happy place.

I'm going through the M section and pull out the latest album by Mayday Parade, realizing I don't have it yet and add it to the collection of cds in my other arm. Suddenly, I feel someone standing next to me.

"Mayday Parade, huh?" I hear the deep voice next to me say. I turn and am taken back by the tan, dark-haired boy next to me. I have to look up at him since he is pretty much hovering over me. 

"Uh, yeah. They're one of my favorite bands," I eye him up and down and realize that he is beautiful.

His lips turn into a smile. "Funny, we don't have many girls here that actually like good music." This time I can hear his thick, Australian accent.

I let out a small chuckle and go back to flipping through the cds. I'm not very good at making small talk, or talking at all.

"You from around here? I'm afraid I haven't seen your cute face before," I hear him say and blush at his last few words.

"No, I actually just moved here. I just finished packing and came to check out this store, my mom had told me about it," I reply to him and he turns to face me, seeming interested in my words.

"Really? A pretty girl that likes good music, that's definitely something we need around here." I turn to him and realize by his smiling face that he's not being sarcastic. "Where are you from, new girl?"

"I'm from America, pretty far away." Immediately after my words I am mentally smacking myself in the face. Of course it's far, you idiot. This is why I don't usually talk to boys. Or anyone for that matter.

His dark brown eyes are wide with amusement. "America?! Wow, that's insane! How do you like it here so far?" I am surprised at how interested this cute boy is and it makes me smile.

"Well considering I've only been here for about two hours I don't really know much about it, but it's okay so far."

"Oh you're gonna love it here, I promise," he smiles at me before checking his watch. "Ah, I'm about to be late for something. Hey, I'll catch you later...." His voice trails off as if he's waiting for me to say something.

"Allison, but you can call me Allis," I say to him after a moment, realizing he was wanting my name.

Smiling wider this time, he speaks again. "Well I'm Calum. It was lovely meeting you. I'll see you later, Allis." And with that, he's gone. I smile at the conversation I just had and go back to looking through the cds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few hours later, I am in my bed listening to one of the new albums I got today. I think of my conversation with Calum and hope that I meet some people tomorrow that are as nice as him. I hate Mondays just as much as the next guy, but tomorrow will probably be the most interesting Monday I will experience. I just hope it's not too horrible.