Chapter 41

The next week at school, I am sure it is completely obvious that I am lovestruck. It might as well be written all over my face, and I honestly don't care who knows. I would tell the whole world that I loved Luke if I could. We can't seem to keep our hands off of each other, and our friends continuously make gagging noises and tell us to get a room. We know that they're joking and at one point, Ashton even thanks me.

"For what?" I laugh.

"This is the happiest I've ever seen Luke, he just seems different. He's been a lot nicer and we all know it's because of you," he says with a smile.

His words bring me joy and I feel a rush of happiness shoot into my heart. This is the happiest I've ever been too. 

I've kept in touch with my friends back home, not as much as I wanted to, but we were trying. Occasionally we text and share phone calls, it's hard because of the time difference. I tell Ben and Abigail all about Luke, they pretty much know the whole story. They both tell me to be careful. Since they don't know Luke personally, they both seem very...cautious of him. Ben especially. He seems to get frustrated when I talk about Luke, shortly after I bring him up he tells me he has to go. 

"Well, I feel a little better about him now," Abigail says after I tell her that Luke had finally told me he loved me. We had been video chatting for about 45 minutes now and it was so good to hear her voice again.

"I promise he's great, I'm sure it's just because you don't know him," I say.

"Yeah you're probably right. I'm just protective of you cause you're my best friend," she says with a small smile.

"I know and thank you," I say softly. "Ben seems to really not like him though," I let out a small chuckle. 

"Yeah..hey I gotta go, I need to finish some homework," she quickly says. 

"Okay, I love and miss you so much Ab," I say before she can hang up.

"Love you and miss you. Bye Allis," she says before her face disappears.

It was 10 P.M. here which meant it was about 1 P.M. there. I understood that she had to do homework since she was a nerd like me, but I didn't get why she ignored the whole Ben thing. I haven't heard from him in a couple of days even though I've sent him numerous texts. I guess he's just busy. 

I am interrupted from my thoughts when I hear my balcony door open. I shut my laptop and spin around in my desk chair to see my beautiful boyfriend standing before me.

"Hi," I smile and run to hug him.

"Hey babe," he says and wraps me in his arms. "Can we lay down?" He asks.

"Yeah of course babe, is something wrong?" I ask. We usually lay down when he gets here anyways but I wasn't sure why he asked if we could.

"Just tired," he says as he walks over and plops onto my bed.

We lay there in silence for a long time. He usually has many things to say and I knew something was bothering him.

"Babe, are you okay? I know you're not so tell me the truth," I say, not even giving him the chance to answer my question as I answer it for him.

He sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. "My brother is back," he says quietly.

I'm surprised at how easily he tells me what's wrong, I used to have to pry it out of him. He was changing so much and in the best way possible. 

"Well isn't that a good thing?" I ask.

"No, it's Ben," he says sternly. I then remember that he told me that Ben supposedly hates him, I didn't believe that. "He just showed up and started yelling at me like usual. After a while I was over it and went to my room. I snuck out so he doesn't know I'm here."

"Why is he here?" I ask carefully, I don't want to make him mad with too many questions.

"I don't know, he always shows up randomly. I don't know how long he's staying either but I hope not long." I frown at his words.

"Maybe you should try to talk to him," I say.

"Why the hell would I do that? I have nothing to say to him," he says.

"Why do you guys not get along?"

He hesitates before speaking. "He blames me for our parents' death," he finally says and his voice cracks a little. "Ever since they died he's blamed it on me and hated me." He looks down and I take his hand in mine, trying to comfort him.

"Why would he think it was your fault?" I ask sadly.

"Well technically it was, I distracted my dad," he says quietly and I can tell he is holding back the tears.

"Luke," I say and grab his face to look at me. "It is in no way your fault, don't you ever think that. Your dad didn't lose control, the other driver caused it all. It was his fault. Not your's. I don't ever want to hear you say that again," I demand.

"Yeah well try telling that to my brothers. They both think it's my fault, always have." I can see the water rim his eyes, but he doesn't let any tears fall. 

It breaks my heart to see Luke like this, to know that he feels responsible for his parents' death. I have to try not to let myself cry, I need to be strong for him. I wrap my arms around him and hold him.

"Don't think that Luke, it's not your fault I promise," I whisper. I try to comfort him but I don't know how well it works. He needed to know that none of this was his fault. I would go to his brothers and tell them myself. 

Each day I realize more and more how broken Luke is, but it could never make me love him any less.