Chapter 12

As much as I don't want it to, the rest of the school day flies by. Of course when I don't need it to it goes by fast. As Linely drives us home, I tell her that Luke is coming over. She has the same reaction as me.

"Oh my gosh, what are you going to say?" She practically yells.

"I have no idea, I think I'm gonna let him start it off since he obviously has something to say."

She nods. "Can I stay inside your house and listen through the window?" She asks anxiously. I look at her disapprovingly and we both laugh. "Fine," she sighs. "But you better call me right after he leaves!"

"You know I will," I say back.

A few minutes later we pull up to my house and I hug Lin before getting out.

"Good luck, it will be okay," she says with a smile.

"Thanks, I'll call you later," I say before shutting the door.

Bradley stays over at Josh's house so luckily he won't be over to bug Luke and I. I quickly go inside the house and put on a little extra makeup. After I finish, I lay on my bed and try to relax. I don't know when Luke will get here, it could be in a few minutes or even a few hours. I have no time to think of what I'm going to say when I hear the doorbell. My stomach drops and I run down the stairs.

I stand at the door and remind myself to be calm before opening it. I slowly open it and see Luke standing there. He was looking somewhere else and turns to look at me, which is when I feel like I can't breathe. His tattoos that cover his arms are hidden by a black jacket, but one tattoo is peeking out on his neck. What I can see looks like music notes, but I can't tell since the rest of the design is hidden under his shirt. He is slightly wet from the rain that was still falling.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi," I say before letting him come in.

He stops in my living room as I walk past him and sit on the couch. "You can sit down," I offer as I look him up and down.

"I'll just stand," he says back.

"Okay then." This couldn't be anymore awkward.

"I don't know why I'm here," he says after a moment of silence.

"Well I don't know why you are either," I say maybe a little too rudely.

"You have a nice house," he says as he looks around. Really? That's all he has to say?

"Did you punch Tate?" I blurt out without even thinking about it.

"Yes," he says back almost immediately.

"Why? I can take care of my own problems," I respond and I don't know why I suddenly feel angry.

"Bullshit," he laughs. "You were a mess when I found you at the party."

"Well I could've handled it another time. I don't need you getting involved with my problems!" I yell without meaning to.

He lets out a small laugh, even though his face is angry. "I knew I shouldn't have come," he says as he walks towards the door. I am fuming, I should have known this was a bad idea. The sight of Luke smiling at lunch quickly disappears from my mind.

"I guess you were right, so you shouldn't have," I say back, following him outside. I slam the door behind me. He is now off of the porch walking to his car as I stay by the door and yell at him. "I just don't understand why you did it, it's not like you care about me!" This makes him immediately stop.

"Excuse me?" He turns around and looks at me with fire in his eyes. Before I know it he is back on my porch and in my face. "You think I don't care about you?" His face is now only inches from mine and I am reminded of our kiss that I had forgotten about until just now. "I help you out of the party, kiss you and punch the asshole that almost raped you and you think that I don't care about you?"

His breathing is fast, as is mine. I don't know what to say so I just stand there, staring into his now dark eyes. His eyes constantly go from my lips to my eyes and for a moment, I think he might kiss me.

"You're an idiot," he says and is now walking back to his car. As he gets in and turns it on, I can hear screamo music blare through the speakers. He drives away fast and I am left there, speechless.

I run inside and up the stairs to my room. I fall on my bed and try to process what just happened. I realize that I did cause the argument and if I hadn't, maybe we would have gotten somewhere. I feel as if I'm going to start crying, but the tears never come. Instead I just lay there silently, thinking of what this means. Luke is an asshole. A beautiful asshole that I can't go five minutes without arguing with. But now I did know one thing.

Even though he had a terrible way of showing it, that beautiful asshole cared about me.