Chapter 20

The rest of the night consists of talking, kissing and falling asleep in Luke's arms. I wouldn't have wanted to spend my Saturday night any other way. Even though we talk a lot, I still don't find out much about him. He is so guarded and I wonder what I will have to do in order to break down his walls. I don't share much about my past either, I don't really like talking to anyone about it. Maybe someday Luke and I can share these past memories with each other.

When I wake up the next morning he is gone and I am left alone again. I don't know why he never stays until morning nor do I know when he actually leaves. All I know is that each morning I reach for him and find nothing. I turn to look at my clock and see that it is only 9:30. I hate Sundays and I don't have anything better to do, so I decide to go back to sleep for a little bit.

I sleep in until almost 1 and figure I should probably get up. I spend the rest of my day doing homework. I don't see my mother at all until she calls me down for dinner. I grab my plate and take it back to my room to eat, not wanting to be around her at all. Until she apologizes for the things she said about Luke, this is how it will be. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I don't speak to or even look at her on the way to school. Bradley says bye but I don't as we get out of the car. Calum is not waiting for me in our usual spot today and I walk inside alone. A small smile appears on my lips as I see Luke standing at my locker. I love Calum, but I would much rather see Luke waiting for me.

"Good morning," I say to him as I begin to put in the combination for my locker.

"Morning," he says, not looking at me. He is leaning against the locker next to mine and looking straight ahead at the people passing behind me. 

"What's wrong?" I ask at his seemingly annoyed voice.

"Nothing," he plainly says, still keeping his eyes away from mine. 

"Obviously something, why can't you tell me?" I ask once more.

His head jerks to look at me, his eyes angry. "Why can't you just stop asking me a thousand questions? I said nothing was wrong so don't worry about it," he says with a harsh tone. 

I stand there with a puzzled look. What the hell has gotten into him?

"I'll see you later," he says and walks away before I can say anything. I am speechless. Why is he acting like this after we just had a great night? I mean at least I did, and I thought that he did too. I walk alone to my class and am in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

By the time that lunch comes around, I dread going. I don't want to face grumpy Luke again and make this day worse. Linley and Michael ask me about a million times what's wrong with me, but I just shake it off and tell them nothing. Lin can sense that I'm lying as she gives me dirty looks each time I deny their accusations of me being upset. 

My stomach drops at the sight of Luke as it always does. He is laughing as he walks with Ashton and Calum to our table. Maybe he is in a better mood, I hope. He sits down with the others and doesn't look at me at all. Lunch goes by too fast and Luke has not said one word to me. I feel very offended and don't talk to anyone. I'm going to find out what is wrong with him.

When the bell rings, he darts out of the lunch room and I run to catch up with him. 

"What is your problem?" I demand as I reach him in the hallway.

"What are you talking about?" He snaps back.

"You didn't talk to me at all during lunch...I don't know if I did something or wh-"

"I already told you earlier that nothing was wrong, what do you not understand about that? It's not like we have to talk all of the time," he is almost yelling and I can sense his annoyance with me in his voice.