Chapter 63

The week zoomed by and Thursday was already here before I knew it. Since Australia does not celebrate Thanksgiving, at least on the same day as us, we still had school. But since it was a holiday for us, my mother let us and Luke skip. Apparently Troy's two kids were flying in to spend the holiday with him, so him and my mother would be picking them up from the airport while we went to my father's. I wasn't quite sure why his kids were coming since he had told us that they weren't really in his life, but I didn't ask. 

The drive to my father's apartment was unfamiliar. I hadn't been down any of the streets that Luke was driving down and it was further away than I had expected. Luke had told me that he knew exactly where the apartment complex was which was good since I had no idea. 

When we pulled in, I was shocked at the fancy buildings in front of me. There's no way that my dad could live here.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" I asked Luke. 

"Yep. I was kind of surprised when I saw his address," he responds.

We get out of the parked car and walk up the stairs to the fifth floor. When we get to 528, I hesitantly knock on the door. He opens the door with a smiling face. He is dressed in a teal button up and black dress pants. I had no idea why he kept dressing like this, he never had before. These clothes were so unlike him. At least the "old him."

"Hello," he says as he lets us in. I think he has given up on the attempted embraces for now. "I'm glad you guys found the place okay."

The apartment was huge and looked so expensive. How did he afford all of this? What had he been doing all of these years? Obviously something that pays really good. I couldn't even imagine how much this place costed. 

"The food isn't quite ready so feel free to sit and watch T.V.," he says as he leads us over to the couches.

The couch is connected and wraps around half of the room. Luke and I sit on a part that could be used as a bed and Bradley sits on the opposite end of the couch which is basically on the other side of the room. My dad grabs the remote to the huge flat screen that is mounted on the wall and hands it to an amused Bradley who starts flipping through the channels.

"So you guys didn't have school today?" My father asks as he walks back into the kitchen.

I sigh and roll my eyes. He always asks so many questions, I guess that's where I get it from. "Yes there was school today, but mother let us skip," I say back. 

He says something back but I don't pay attention. Luke lays his hand on my thigh and turns to give me a small smile. "If you try to have a decent time it will go by quicker, trust me I know," he says quietly. 

I sigh again and lay my head on his shoulder. "It's so hard to try to have a decent time when I'm with him," I say back.

"I know, but let's just try to get through it, okay?" He says and plants a gentle kiss on the top of my head.

"Okay. Thank you for being here." I look up at him and give him the best smile I can.

"Anything for you," he smiles and I lean in to peck his lips.

Luke was right. The more I tried to enjoy myself, the faster time went. Dinner was filled with my father asking tons of questions (of course) and Bradley answered most of them, leaving me to not have to speak that much. I'm not gonna lie, the food was absolutely delicious, but I wasn't going to tell him that. It made me wonder when he learned to cook. 

"Would any of you like any dessert?" He asks after we have all finished our food. 

"No, I think we're gonna go ahead and leave," I say back and get out of my chair. We had already been here longer than I had wanted to be. 

"Oh come on, not even any blackberry pie? I know that's your favorite," he says.

I am taken aback by the fact that he actually remembers that. I shake the thought out of my head and motion for Bradley to get up. "No, I'm sure that dinner at home is almost ready anyways."

"But All-"

"I said no!" I yell without meaning to. The sudden raise of my voice startles all three of them, even Luke. "You've already had enough time with us today," I say a little quieter this time.

A sad look appears on his face and he slowly nods. "Okay. W-well thanks for coming, I'll see you guys this weekend?" He asks as we head for the door. 

"Unfortunately," I say as I open the door. 

He says nothing and we step outside. I don't hear the door close until we get to the next flight of stairs. 

The car ride home is silent and feels longer than the ride here. The sad look that was on my father's face keeps reappearing in my mind and I'm not quite sure why. I almost feel bad for how I acted in there. The fact that he still remembered one of my favorite foods still shocks me. What else did he remember?

I shake myself out of the trance. I didn't care what he remembered. I didn't care about him.