Chapter 55

I eventually fall asleep in Luke's arms. Nightmares wake me up often, each time he has to talk to me and play with my hair until I fall back asleep. Even though this was not how I planned to spend our weekend alone, I was thankful to have him here with me nonetheless. We both had to support one another a lot these past few weeks and without him, I don't know where I'd be. Luke was obviously put into my life for a reason, and that reason was to be my rock. I knew that he would always be here for me and I would do the same for him. 

I had texted my mom telling her about what happened and they immediately packed up their things and left Melbourne. They wouldn't be home until around 1 in morning since they were 9 hours away and it was currently 4 in the afternoon. I wondered what was going through her mind. I'm sure hearing the news made her crazy too, bringing back even worse memories. I didn't mean to ruin their trip but I knew that I had to tell her. 

I hoped that he wasn't serious about coming back, but I'm sure we would be seeing him again soon. This made me even more sick to my stomach than I already was.

The only time Luke leaves my bed is to get food and occasionally check on Bradley. I don't eat much, I don't really have an appetite at the moment. Or at all. I don't cry anymore but I still feel upset. Memories keep flashing in my head, especially when I try to sleep. Pretty much all I do is lay in Luke's arms and listen to him breathe. I was content with this. 

"Take my hand," he says. He had just come back upstairs from checking on the boys. 

"Why?" I mumble into my pillow.

"Just take it." 

I sigh and place my hand in his. He pulls me, well drags me since I put up a fight, out of bed.

"Where are you taking me?" I whine as he leads me down the stairs.

"We're gonna take a little trip," he smiles.

Bradley and Josh are waiting in the entryway, already ready to go. I give Luke a confused look and he puts his finger up to my mouth.

"Don't ask, just follow me," he whispers.

We all pile into the car and he changes the cd in his car since the boys are with us. I'm sure they don't want to listen to screamo. When he puts a different cd in, Robbers, my favorite song by The 1975, starts to play. I hum along to the music and let the wind blow through my hair.

Luke turns and sings to me along with the words to the song and I can't help but smile. His voice sounds perfect with this song as always and he dances like a dork, trying to cheer me up in any way that he could. He never failed to make me feel better, even the slightest bit.

She says babe, you look so cool, you look so cool, you look so coooool

He grabs my hand and uses it as a microphone as he belts out the last few lyrics. He was such a weirdo, but that's why I loved him.

A few minutes later we pull into the familiar parking lot and I smile over at Luke. When he parks the car the boys run out immediately. I step out of the car and kick my shoes off before walking on the cool sand. This had become our safe haven, our happy place. Our place. Luke walks up behind me and takes my hand and we continue to walk down to the beach. The boys have already ditched their shirts and shoes and are now in the water. It really wasn't that warm out today so I didn't know how they could stand the water that was proably freezing. I'm glad that I left my sweatpants on. Luke lays a blanket down and pulls out his guitar. I lay back on the blanket next to him and listen as he plays random chords and familiar melodies.

He strums a couple of chords and it sounds oddly familiar. I can't place where I've heard it, but it makes me cringe and I'm glad he doesn't continue it. I hear him set down the guitar and feel him lay next to me. I open my eyes and turn to face him to find him staring at me with those beautiful eyes. 

"How are you?" He asks.

"I'm okay," I say back as loud as I can. For some reason my voice has been going in and out ever since I stopped crying. "Thank you for bringing me here."

"I was hoping that it would help, it always helps me." He gives me a small smile.

"It did," I whisper. "But you help the most." I reach down and take his hand in mine, giving it a gentle squeeze.

This causes his smile to grow. "I love you Allis, so much. More than yesterday, more than the day before yesterday, and fifty times more than the day before that. Which I didn't even think was possible."

I smile at him and nuzzle my body into his. "I love you Luke," I mumble into his chest. "I love you more every day."