Fourteen

╔══════════════╗

The pounding in my head and face was almost unbearable. The pain was intense that I was too scared to open my eyes in fear that I was strapped to a bed locked in a room with Slasher on the other side. A small whimper escaped my lips as I turned my head and when a hand touched mine, my eyes snapped open and I screamed, pushing the person away.

"Doll, it's me!" Bucky said and I stopped fighting him and burst into tears, wrapping my arms around his neck, "Shh. I've got you, Doll. It's ok,"

"Wh-what happened?" I cried, "Where am I?"

"You're safe. We got to you in time and you are in the hospital," He said, rubbing his metal hand up and down my back.

"Where is Tony? I want my brother!"

"He's talking with the doctors, baby," Bucky said, still trying to soothe me, "Just take a deep breath. The pain will be worse if you keep up like this,"

"I-I was so scared," I said, trying to control myself, "I thought I-"

The door opening cut my sentence off and Bucky let me go. I looked up at my brother who looked like shit and he came over to me, hugging me tightly.

"Don't say sorry," He said, putting his hand on the back of my head, "You don't need to say sorry. It's me who should apologise. I'm sorry I couldn't get to you sooner,"

"It isn't your fault," I sniffed, "What happened?"

Tony let out a heavy sigh and sat down on the edge of the bed, "When you called me, I rushed over as fast as I could. Dad had spoken to me about your safe place and I always knew where you were when you ran away from us. When we arrived we saw those punks throwing you into the back of a black van. Bucky jumped onto the van and ripped the driver out, tossing him across the road. They jumped out and ran, leaving you behind. They were lucky you were my mine priority or I would have killed them,"

"Did the driver get away?"

"No," Bucky said and I looked at him, "He isn't dead...unfortunately,"

"Where is he?" I asked.

"That isn't any of your concern right now," Tony said, "You need to get better first,"

"I want to see him," I said, "Please. I want to know why they are so interested in me,"

Bucky and Tony shared a look that meant they knew more than they were letting on.

"Get better and then we will talk," Tony said, holding my hand, "The doctor said you are well enough to come home,"

"Ok," I said quietly, "How long was I in here?"

"A few days," Bucky said, "They kept you here for observations and to make sure you didn't have any other injuries,"

"A few days? Tony, what about your party?!"

Tony lifted his eyebrows, "Seriously? That is the first thing you think of?"

"But you love your parties,"

"And I will throw another one. Emily, you are my sister and you are more important than a party," Tony rolled his eyes and stood up, "And another thing, that no-good boyfriend of yours has been trying to see you. I've sent him away so many times that I want to toss him in front of a moving train,"

I sighed, "Is he still here?"

Bucky scoffed and folded his arms, "That bastard hasn't left the hospital parking lot,"

I found myself smiling, "It's a car park,"

"Maybe for you," Bucky smirked, "I'm American. You are not,"

"True," I sighed and laid back down, "I suppose I should see him,"

"Not happening," Tony said walking to the door, "I need to get back home so I've told Bucky to guard your body. He will be driving you home when you get the all-clear. Steve will be here soon as well,"

"I don't think two super soldiers will be necessary to look after me," I said.

"That's what you think," He said under his breath and walked out of the hospital room, closing the door behind him.

Bucky dropped onto the seat and put his feet on the edge of the bed, "You're all mine, Doll,"

"Tell me who you managed to grab,"

"No,"

"Tell me,"

"No,"

"Bucky, I am very stubborn. Tony is my brother and I learnt from the best," I said, undoing the laces on his boots, "Tell me,"

Bucky sighed and rubbed his face with his hand, "Bozo or something,"

"There never was a guy called Bozo,"

"I don't know. I didn't care for his name, Emily. All I know was that he had blood on his boot and it wasn't his,"

"O-oh," I said running my fingers across my face, "Jester."

"Yeah. Him," Bucky's eyes darkened, "It's your turn to tell me what happened,"

I dropped my hands trying not to cry at the cuts and cruises on my face, "They were tracking me for years. Slasher, or Simon, said that they have been watching me since I was a kid. There was a reason why I became part of their group,"

"Right,"

"He told me that HYDRA wanted me," I whispered and Bucky clenched his fists, "Can I tell you something, but it has to stay between us and not leave this room?"

"If it puts you in danger then I don't think so,"

"Bucky, please!" I begged, "You are the only person who would understand. Please,"

Bucky groaned, "I am going to regret this but...go on,"

"I have a part of my teenage years missing," I said, "I don't remember much after I turned 14. I remember getting into a fight and someone hit my head. The next thing I knew I was turning 16 but even then I don't have a lot in my head."

"What do you mean?"

"That's the thing, I don't know. I only remember a few fights here and there, plus the obsession Slasher had with me. I have no recollection of anything between the ages of 14 and 16. During the year when I was 15, as I said, it was the bad things with Slasher and the fights. I...I don't know what happened,"

Bucky rubbed his chin with his metal hand, "You need to tell Tony. It could be important,"

I sighed, "I know but I'm scared. What if I don't remember those years because I did something terrible? I don't think I could live with myself if I ever found out that I...that I killed someone,"

Bucky studied me for a few moments before he nodded, "I understand but you can't keep this a secret forever. Someone other than me will need to know. Do you have nightmares or anything that feels real when you sleep?"

I shook my head, "Nothing. I don't tend to have nightmares or dreams. I don't sleep well but I can't remember,"

"Ok," Bucky said with a nod, "This is something we can talk about at a later date or start to deal with the memory loss. But for now, I will keep it a secret."

"Thank you. Thank you, Bucky,"

Bucky smiled slightly, "Anything for you, Doll,"

╚══════════════╝