Seventy-Eight

╔══════════════╗

Emily

It had been almost an hour since Steve handed me the scan photo back and I was crying. My eyes were too sore to cry anymore and I sighed, curling up in bed holding the picture close to my chest.

"At least Bucky will be there for us," I whispered to my belly.

There was a knock on the door and I rolled over to see Loki standing there. I frowned and sat up.

"You're needed in the medical bay," He said and held his hand out to me, "Come,"

I reluctantly climbed out of bed and held his hand as he took me down to the medical bay. I was too exhausted to question him and why he had blood on his knuckles.

Loki cleared his throat and opened the door to me, revealing Steve on the bed with bruises scattering his face. My eyes went wide and I looked up at Loki who had a slight smirk on his face.

I punched him in the arm making him wince, "I don't know what happened but what the fuck!?"

"I told them both," Loki said calmly, "That if they make you cry, they will get what's coming to them,"

"Jesus," I muttered, "Thanks but you can go now,"

"Anytime," Loki winked at me and left.

"Steve," I said, "What happened?"

"Loki told you. I made you cry. He beat me up,"

"Don't say that so casually," I said, "Why did you run?"

Steve pushed himself up and took my hand, "I was scared. Back in the 40s I wanted children. I wanted a family,"

"With Peggy?"

"Yes," Steve said and I felt my heart drop, "I used to think she was my everything. I wanted everything with her. Hell, I even tried but I couldn't do it. Going back to put the stones back made me realise that it wasn't the life I wanted. While I loved her with everything I had, I didn't want to take her future away. She had great kids and a husband,"

"Not to mention Sharon," I said bitterly.

"Baby, you are my future. No one else," He sighed and squeezed my hand, "The news hit me like a goddamn train. I panicked and I had to run. Emily, I'm sorry. I want this. I want you. I want this baby. I shouldn't have run but-"

"You were scared. I get it," I said, "I would have preferred if you had fainted or even screamed,"

"So do I," He smiled, "So what happens next?"

"I wait for the next scan. Did you want to find out what we are having?"

"What else would it be?" Steve frowned, "It is a baby, right?"

I burst into laughter, "You're so old!"

"Don't remind me,"