𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘺 𝘵𝘸𝘰〔 𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘸 〕

𝘈𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘥𝘦'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝

"Guys, the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip" Pope announces as we sit in the Twinkie, on our way to the care home that his grandmother is in "She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo"

"Wait, can I see that?" JJ asks and Pope hands him the key.

"Are we supposed to know what that is?" Sarah questions.

"I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artefact of great importance" Pope explains.

"Well, according to the interwebs, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish king" Kiara read from her phone.

"New Spain? Is there an Old Spain?" JJ asks in confusion.

"Well, obviously" I scoff.

"Shit, talk about over gifting. Look at that thing" Kiara says in amusement, showing us the drawing off the cross on Wikipedia "Looks like a person standing next to it"

"That shit is fucking huge" I murmur in awe.

"So it's a giant ass cross?" JJ asks simply.

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces" Kiara reads again "It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829"

"Did you just say Bermuda?" JJ perks up.

"Oh, no. Not the triangle" John B states.

"It always leads back to the triangle, dude" JJ argues "Like, every single time something's weird, it's Bermuda"

"Okay. What does a key you found above your mee maw's pharmacy have to do with any of this?" Kiara questions.

"Yeah" Sarah agrees.

"Where do we come in?" Kiara adds.

"I don't know. That's a good question" Pope sighs.

We approach the Shady Acres old folks home and as the van slows down to a stop, we all climb out.

"Hey, actually, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself" Pope declares.

"Are you sure?" Kiara asks him.

"Yeah, I can handle it" Pope assures us.

"I can go with you if you want" JJ offers.

"I'm okay" Pope smiles reassuringly and JJ nods understandingly.

Pope walks away towards the doors of the care home and we all get back into the van, Sarah running her fingers through my hair as I flop my head onto her lap.

"Hey, man, pick you up in a bit!" John B yells at Pope.

The Routledge boy starts up the engine and the van starts moving, a calm silence enveloping us all.

I look up at the dirty blonde haired girl and she smiles down at me warmly, causing my heart to twist guiltily for just a moment.