𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘯𝘦〔 𝘪 𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘢𝘥 〕

𝘈𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘥𝘦'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝

"Hey, pull up to Home Food here" Our dad tells us "I'm gonna need provisions"

Kiara glances at me so I nod at her in reassurance and she sighs, pulling off the road. She parks the truck outside the store and JJ gets out.

"Crackers and baked beans and tuna, all right? And some salt and pepper" Dad tells him.

"Yeah. Five days' worth. I know" JJ retorts, walking away.

Once my brother disappears inside the store, my father starts incessantly drumming his hands against the back of Kiara and I's chairs, clearly trying to get to us. I take a deep breath, willing myself not to turn around and slam my fist into his irritating face.

"You're a terrible father, you know that?" Kiara snaps out.

"Yeah, preach it to me" Dad chuckles, sitting back in his seat "Set me straight"

"Do you have any idea how special your kids are?" Kiara questions him and my heart swells at her words "Like, even a clue?"

"He's a thief is what he is" Dad states matter of factly "And she's a whore"

I ignore the hurt in my chest that I was sure shouldn't affect me anymore and look down at my lap, toying with the loose threads of my jeans.

"What are you?" Kiara scoffs "You're just a wasted local salt who never did shit but get messed up and hustle people. Not exactly impressive"

"You know, you sound just like your mama" Dad laughs in amusement "She was just like that in high school. Always thought she was better than everybody else"

"Kook princess" He says with disgust laced in his tone "You know, I bet you're a lot like your mama. Slumming with the bad boys"

"Are you an ungrateful shit like she was?" He asks her with a chuckle "I bet you are"

"Dad, enough" I snap at him but he ignores me.

"Miss Figure Eight, hopping up there on your high horse, riding around in daddy's car" Dad taunts her.

Kiara abruptly swivels around and elbows him in the face so hard that he is sent reeling back with a pained groan. Satisfaction runs through my body and I can't help the smile that tugs at my lips.

"Don't talk about my family" Kiara spits at him.

"Karma's a real bitch" I mutter under my breath.

"Hey" JJ whistles as he approaches the car.

He hands our dad a four pack and puts the grocery bag in the bed of the truck before climbing into the car himself.

"Let's get this over with, yeah?" Kiara speaks up, starting up the engine.

"Yeah" JJ nods.

Kiara drives us to the marina yacht club and JJ is the first to jump out to grab the supplies.

"Hey, why don't you tell your mom hi?" Dad smirks at Kiara.