4.5

Chapter Fifty-Five – The Emperor (5)

The original owner hated the Buddhist scriptures, did not want to see them, and had no Buddhist scriptures with him. But in the Buddhist temple where the Empress Dowager was imprisoned, all the Buddhist scriptures were available.

After Wang Zhong found various Buddhist scriptures for Yan Jing Ze, Yan Jing Ze memorized the characters according to those scriptures for two hours, until Wang Zhong reminded him that it was time to prepare for the morning court.

Every first day and fifteenth day of the first month of the Great Qi Dynasty, there would be a grand imperial assembly with elaborate formalities including an extraordinary filial ceremony, a formal dining hall, a smoke-burning ceremony, and an incense burning ceremony. All officials in the capital, from the ninth rank and above, are required to attend.

However, during the regular morning court, only officials of the fifth rank and above could attend, and the court was held on the next day.

Yesterday there was no court meeting, but today there is.

The morning court of the Great Qi Dynasty began at dawn. When Yan Jing Ze finished his breakfast, he thought of something. He asked Wang Zhong to prepare chicken porridge and various kinds of snacks, and also to prepare some medicine for the wound.

Wang Zhong took the order and left.

As he watched the old eunuch walk away, Yan Jing Ze felt a little guilty. The original owner did not trust outsiders, so he always squeezed Wang Zhong, who was not young anymore and still could not get a good rest.

He still needs to train up all kinds of staff quickly.

The time was almost up, and Yan Jing Ze went to the palace according to the original owner's memory. Officials in the court were already waiting, as soon as he entered, they all bowed down.

Those kneeling in front were Chu Ting Xiu, King Ping, and Prime Minister Cui Xun.

Among them, Chu Ting Xiu was the tallest and most imposing, wearing a dress worn by military generals to court, and was remarkably heroic and handsome.

King Ping was a little shorter, slightly chubby, and seemed to be a very easy person to get along with, but as to what was in his mind, no one knows.

As for the Prime Minister Cui Xun, he was an old man about the same age as Wang Zhong. He was already a prominent figure during the reign of Emperor Taizu and has been standing for decades, with his own way of doing things, which is to just do things and never take sides.

Yan Jing Ze's eyes swept over Ping Wang and Cui Xun, and finally settled on Chu Ting Xiu's body.

On Chu Ting Xiu's neck, there was a wound.

He had been as careful as possible last night not to leave any conspicuous marks on Chu Ting Xiu's neck, so it was easy to cover them up, and they might even have disappeared overnight. But he didn't expect Chu Ting Xiu to cover them directly.

Yan Jing Ze's heart ached with pain and guilt.

After the salutations of the officials, the government was discussed.

During the Empress Dowager's time, the original owner was 'unwell' and never attended the usual small court assemblies, except for the first and fifteenth day of the first lunar month and various festivals, or large court assemblies to reward generals.

However, all the great court assemblies do not actually discuss political affairs, so the original owner did not learn what he should have learned. When he finally came to court without the Empress Dowager, he was ignorant of political affairs.