4.9

Chapter Fifty-Nine – The Emperor (9)

Chu Ting Xiu was surprised when he heard Yan Jing Ze say that he would be in mourning for three years.

    "I was raised by the Empress Dowager, so I should stay mourning for her for a while longer." Yan Jing Ze smiled.

    If His Majesty really meant that, then for the next three years, he will be the only one by His Majesty's side.

    Chu Ting Xiu was so excited that he suddenly leaned toward Yan Jing Ze and gave him a kiss.

    Yan Jing Ze: "!!!!" He suddenly remembered that he decided last night to make Chu Ting Xiu look good... why not do it now?

As soon as this thought occurred to Yan Jing ze, the little eunuch guarding outside came in and told him that the Ministry of Rites was coming.

    These people were here to discuss the funeral of the Empress Dowager, and could not be shrugged off, so Yan Jing Ze could only let them in. "Men, bring a chair for General Chu so that he can sit with me."

    Yan Jing Ze's table was very long, so he moved his own chair to the side and let Chu Ting Xiu sit next to him.

    Chu Ting Xiu sat down calmly.

    When the officials from the Ministry of Rites came in, they saw Chu Ting Xiu and Yan Jing Ze sitting together, and they were all shocked.

    How could one sit beside His Majesty easily? General Chu is really up to no good!

    However, Chu Ting Xiu was so powerful that they dared not speak out in anger and could only talk about the funeral of the Empress Dowager.

    The officials all knew that the current Emperor, Chu Ting Xiu, and even King Ping, did not like the Empress Dowager. Therefore, they took the initiative to propose that the funeral of the Empress Dowager could be kept simple now that the state treasury was empty.

    Without hesitation, Yan Jing Ze agreed: "Let's do it."

    Probably due to the influence of the original owner, he really disliked the Empress Dowager...

    When he said he wanted to keep everything simple, Yan Jing Ze thought it was all right, but never thought that the ministers would come up with many things to ask.

From what to use for incense burners to what specifications for rituals, mention about all the old examples.

   Yan Jing Ze: "..."

Yan Jing Ze found that he had studied too little, or at least he didn't know what they were talking about.

    He was impatient to hear this, and simply leaned back in his chair, took off his shoes and put the footrest on Chu Ting Xiu's lap.

    With the table in the way, those officials couldn't see anyway!

    Chu Ting Xiu: "...."

    Yan Jing Ze didn't stop and used his foot to hook Chu Ting Xiu's foot again.

The officials from the Ministry of Rites spoke slowly about the rules of the funeral—as soon as they looked up, they saw His Majesty leaning on the table, using his sleeve to block his face, so they couldn't see his expression, while General Chu was sitting with a straight face, seemingly unhappy.

Although neither of them spoke, it looked like... a sign of dissatisfaction with their arrangement?

The official from the Ministry of Rites was busy simplifying some of the procedures and asked carefully, "Your Majesty, is this possible?"