To Kure and to the Continent

Hello, Kazuhiro Kasami here. At last, Japan is stepping onto the continent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 3, 2019, 11:00

Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Several staff members had gathered at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which was supposed to be closed until the third day of the year. They were those who originally lived in Tokyo and had spent the end of the year in the city without the need to leave for the countryside.

"Haah... why is this happening so early on New Year's Day?"

Sonomura, one of the few Ministry of Foreign Affairs employees who remained in Tokyo, let out a sigh, but he did not complain further because he knew that Japan was in fact in a terrible situation and that they were the only ones on the front lines of dealing with it.

"Senpai, I understand your incredulity, but as long as different situations are identified and diplomacy needs to be done, we have to be the ones to deal with them."

"I get it, Kunimoto."

The two men were assembled under the direct command of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The sudden but confirmed situation was confirmed to be true, and they were about to head for the settlements on the continent with the SDF, as contact with the continent was essential and top priority in order to save the food and resource situation in Japan.

"The P-3C's camera captured a primitive, yet village-like, image of a settlement."

"Yeah. Based on the nuance of the village, scholars estimate that the level of civilization is about the same as that of the Yayoi period in Japan."

"What do you think about this contact?"

"What do you mean?"

"Will it work?"

"It is not a question of whether it will go well or not, but whether it must go well. Otherwise, Japan will perish for sure."

"I agree."

After the two were briefed by the Foreign Minister, they were to board a bullet train to Kure in Hiroshima Prefecture, where they would board a JMSDF destroyer and head for the continent. The vehicles were to be loaded onto an Ōsumi-class transport ship because the continent was full of rough terrain and the air situation was unforeseeable. The 13th Brigade of the JGSDF, based in Hiroshima, and some armored vehicles were also to be mounted for escort because of the danger of encountering wild beasts and other animals if the area was unsettled.

"What, then, are we going to do with a place that is all settlements and not defined as a country? Even if we were to establish an exchange, what would be able to do?"

"I guess the higher-ups will think about that. Kunimoto, you need to brace yourself. This mission could even mean the future of Japan is at stake."

"Yes. I understand, senpai."

The two boarded a Shinkansen bound for Fukuoka, which took about four hours to get to Hiroshima. Speaking of which, the bullet trains were originally supposed to be full on the first three days of the year as well, but thanks to the government issuing a state of emergency, even at midnight, there was a string of cancellations, and they were able to secure seats. In addition, thanks to the movement of government aircraft and two vehicles over the two days from New Year's Day, they were also able to gather items to present to the central figures in the villages they were expected to come into contact with.

It had also taken some time to gather some of the GSDF's vehicles, which was also why their departure was on this day. After an hour or so of briefing, the two traveled to Tokyo Station to board the Shinkansen. Sonomura decided to close his eyes and let sleepiness take over, at least on the bullet train.