Overview & National Setting 2

The Heisei era finally comes to an end today. I hope you will continue to read this novel in Reiwa era as well.

On a personal note, on Friday, May 17, I won the lottery for a trial voyage on the destroyer Teruzuki. I will go on board a real destroyer!!

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fubuki-class Frigate

A frigate for coastal patrol purposes, which was decided to be built after Japan decided to claim the North and Central American Continent and was forced to expand the size of the Self-Defense Forces, with the concept of "Modern Special Type Destroyer." It was built after the existing old escort ship, the Abukuma-class, but with various equipment changed to the latest models:

- The ASROC anti-submarine rocket launcher installed in the center of the ship has been replaced by a VLS with the ability to launch ship-to-air missiles, and is now in operation at the same time.

- The anti-ship missile has been replaced by the domestically produced Type 17 anti-ship missile.

- The ship's hull is reduced in size and weight by removing the space for helicopter landing and takeoff, and its maneuverability is increased accordingly.

- The bridge has been changed to a shape similar to that of the Akizuki-class in order to make it stealthier.

By removing the space for helicopter landing and takeoff, the weight of the ship was reduced, and it can now reach a speed of up to 32 knots. The displacement was reduced to around 1.800 tons, which is even lighter than the Abukuma-class, and the overall length has also been reduced to 80 meters, making it considerably more maneuverable.

Compared to the Hayabusa-class, which boasts the highest speed and maneuverability among the vessels of the Maritime Self-Defense Force, its maneuverability is still insufficient, but the ability to carry a large number of armaments in a compact hull has made it more than adequate as an escort ship for coastal patrol duties.

It is treated differently from the 3.000-ton future escort ships that were to be deployed, and is also characterized by the need for an extended range so that it can guard a wide area of the continental coast. A large number of ships were to be built, many of which took the names of destroyers in the former Imperial Japanese Navy. As a result, many of the names were taken from provinces and mountains other than those of the former IJN.

Armament :

- 1 × OTO Melara 127 mm rapid-fire gun

- 1 × 20 mm CIWS

- 2 × twin Type 17 anti-ship missile launchers

- 1 × 6-cell Mk. 41 mod. 9 Vertical Launch System

Displacement : 1.800 tons

Length : 80 m

Ships in class :

- Shirayuki

- Hatsuyuki

- Miyuki

- Murakumo

- Shinonome

- Usugumo

- Shirakumo

- Asagumo

- Yūgumo

- Yamagumo

- Natsugumo

- Minegumo

- Yūgure

- Ōshio

- Arashio

- Hatsushio

- Asanagi

- Yūnagi

- Asagao

- Yūgao

- Etc.

. . .

Flying Dragon

It has scales that can stop pistol bullets within an effective range, mobility that allows it to reach speeds of 280 km/h, and the ability to use fire and flamethrowers through the utilizes a gaseous contact ignition-type combustible substance inside its body. However, unlike the dragonoid who have evolved into warm-blooded species, they are cold-blooded animals, so they are vulnerable to cold and can hardly move in temperatures as cold as those of the Yetisk Empire.

A dragon knight belonging to the Grand Lago Kingdom spotted a Japanese patrol vessel during a patrol flight, which led to contact between the two countries. After the contact, it became clear that Japan had flying machine technology, and as the Kingdom began researching flying machine technology, it was protected as a rare animal by Japan due to its stability as a military force.

. . .

Grand Lago Kingdom

The Grand Lago Kingdom is the first country that Japan came into contact with, and is located on the Island of Great Britain. Although it is a small island nation, it is regarded as a powerful country in the world, with only 5 million population. It is famous for its high intelligence, and is inhabitant by a race of people similar to humans called the dragonoid, who are highly intelligent and physically capable, and the dwarves, who are good at making things.

It is the second most civilized country in the world, and is about as advanced as the Meiji Era by Earth standards. Unlike Earth, however, they have air power using wyverns, and excel in aerial combat using fireballs, which are fired by igniting a gaseous contact combustible substance inside the body. It is currently researching explosives, enhanced fuses, and torpedoes.

When Japan visited them aboard the patrol ship Shikishima in an attempt to establish diplomatic relations, they were humiliated to learn that Japan's technological capabilities far surpassed their own, but they decided that they could climb to a higher level by forming a relationship with Japan. They become the most powerful nation on this another planet, and yet the friendliest to Japan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a rather rough outline of the new ships and the Grand Lago Kingdom. Some of you may be thinking, "Oh, here we go again," but please take it warmly as the ramblings of an inexperienced author.

- Kazuhiro Kasami