Special Security Team vs Korean Security Forces: Battle of Takeshima

This is a chapter revolving around Takeshima. I wrote this chapter with no prejudice or discrimination against Korean people. I hope you can understand this from the comments of the Japan Coast Guard sailors.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 4, 2019

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Tokyo, Japan

Time goes back a bit to January 4, when Sonomura and his group were waiting in the village.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs was hurrying to make contact with the Northern Territories and Takeshima. Fortunately, the Senkaku Islands had been spared thanks to the deployment of a fleet of vessels after the Japan Coast Guard purchased them, but the problem at hand was what to do about the Russians, who had maintained effective control over the Northern Territories since World War II, and the Koreans, who were occupying Takeshima.

"By the way, have you heard anything from the Russians?"

"That doesn't seem to have been the case, at least no indication that they have been in contact with us. We have also checked with the Russian Embassy, and there is no indication that they have contacted the embassy either."

"How strange... they must already know that they can't contact their own country either. And if they think calmly, they should already know that they have no allies around them... So why haven't they contacted Japan?"

A young official shook his head at the executive's words.

"We don't know. At any rate, the government has already dispatched the Coast Guard patrol vessel Shikishima and several naval vessels, mainly the Oki, to detain—sorry, protect Korean nationals living on Takeshima."

"Shikishima, huh... what a bold ship to dispatch."

"Well, that ship could have handled aircraft up to World War II or so. Even if only equipped with anti-aircraft radar, it's a very valuable ship to use."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Japan Coast Guard Patrol Vessel, Shikishima

Gross tonnage : 7.175 tons

Overall length : 150 m

Beam : 16,5 m

Speed : 25 knots

Armament :

- 2 × Oerlikon 35 mm twin cannons

- 2 × JM61 20 mm guns

Aircraft carried : 2 × helicopters

It is the largest patrol vessel in Japan's fleet, comparable in size only to guided missile destroyers such as Kongō, and is also well armed for a patrol vessel. The ship was originally completed in 1992 to escort a ship transporting plutonium from France. In addition to its solid warship structure, it is the only Coast Guard vessel equipped with an anti-aircraft radar, the OPS-14, which can be used to aircraft and to determine the exact location of the two helicopters on board. It is equipped with two security rescue boats, and its main missions are vigilance monitoring and transportation of special security forces.

Like the Akitsushima (now an independent Akitsushima-class), which is generally referred to as a modified Shikishima-class, it has never been opened to the public and is famous for its secrecy to the extent that its crew members, including the captain, are not even listed on the roster due to its antiterrorism significance.