Details on the Attack on Athenia Harbor

As always, I'm Kasami.

This is my first post of the month, and I will be posting three chapters this month.

As the mood of self-restraint due to the new Coronavirus continues, I thought it would be a good idea to provide some stories for your enjoyment...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 hours after the naval battle

Neutrine Empire, Port City Athenia

The JMSDF 1st Escort Group was approaching 7 kilometers offshore of Athenia, which was now defenseless. They were completely out of range of the batteries on the platforms. Their last task was to smash the military and industrial facilities that existed along the port city's coast with naval gunfire. The layout of these facilities is already known thanks to observation satellites and careful research by the Ministry of Defense.

From the destroyer Izumo, an SH-60K anti-submarine patrol helicopter will take off from the ship to reach the sky over the port area for impact observation. Some of the soldiers gathered in the port area fired small arms at the helicopter, but were unable to hit it.

"This is the Izumo's SH-60K to the Escort Squadron. We are in position. Please begin your attack."

"This is Izumo, copy. To all vessels. Commence attack."

The destroyers, except the Izumo and the Akagi, aimed their main guns at the port area.

"Commence main gun fire!"

"Commence fire!"

The 76 mm and 127 mm guns of the Escort Group fired in succession.

BOOOM! BOOOM! BOOOM!

DONDONDONDONDON!!

The area where the shells landed was engulfed in a tremendous firestorm. The pier was burnt down, and the buildings including the factory were quickly crushed by the gunfire. The GPS-guided artillery shells were not used at the moment, partly because they had not yet progressed much beyond the testing stage. However, it still has the ability to fire a barrage of shells with an accuracy that is unbelievable by the common sense of the Neutrine Empire. Shells fired one after another from those destroyers quickly turned the port area into a sea of fire.

In addition, the SH-60Ks flying from the destroyers and the Akagi will attack key targets located more than 30 kilometers inland with anti-submarine bombs and Hellfire missiles mounted on their stub wings. They really wanted to use the attack helicopters of the JGSDF, but unfortunately, many helicopters were needed for later ground combat, and with the F-3Bs on board, the destroyer Izumo could not afford to transport them, so they had no choice but to use anti-submarine patrol helicopters for the ground attack. Still, from their point of view, they were originally designed to attack moving submarines and naval vessels, and immobile structures were mere targets.

As if to add insult to injury, F-3Bs were launched from the Izumo, dropping JDAMs one after another on the Army Port Defense Command, which was located a bit inland. Overhead, F-3C fighters were flying over them, and E-767 early warning and control aircraft was flying around in the airspace 500 kilometers further west, keeping a close watch on the skies above them.

The Neutrine forces, whose only means of attack in the sky was to fire guns (Meiji era-level firearms) into the sky, were clearly out of their league.

. . .

"No... no..."

Korydos, the captain of the rescued Neutrine Imperial Navy Sea Defense Fleet flagship Primera, collapsed to her knees after receiving reports of an attack on the port city of Athenia on board the Izumo.