The Roar of the Conqueror

This is this month's chapter.

Please don't be too descriptive of the postwar processing... I thought about it but couldn't come up with a good idea.

I thought it would be better than goofing off...

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 5, 1750

Yi Empire, Capital Nanjing

In Nanjing, where nearly three days had passed since the attack, police and fire departments, in addition to military survivors, were jointly conducting rescue operations. However, their expressions were worse than sour. Hardly surprising, since the attack came suddenly in the middle of the night and the underground city was hit hard, resulting in the deaths of over 20.000 people.

Police officer Song Wenshou sighed as he and his colleagues moved a debris out of the way.

"What in the world are we fighting against? They say it might be the Yetisk Empire, but I don't think so."

"Indeed. Those four-engine planes that were flying in the sky... those were fast, even for a transport or a ground attack plane. Those must've been built with very advanced technology."

Although they are called police, they are legally required to act under the command of the military in the event of an emergency, so although they are called police officers, they are in a position to be called quasi-military personnel. Therefore, police officers here have a much deeper knowledge of the military than an average Japanese police officer.

"I have heard that the Yetisk Empire has large transport planes, but I have never heard of one that can fly so stable and even attack."

"Hmmm... you're right. Even in the dark, I've seen how they fly."

The fly-by-wire technology to stabilize the plane while flying is a relatively recent development.

"Besides, do you think the technology exists to mount powerful guns on a plane?"

"No, I don't think so."

A large airplane by their standards was a biplane of only about 25 meters wide, with a speed of around 170 kilometers per hour, such as the Vickers Victoria or the Avro Andover. However, the planes that attacked Nanjing clearly had speeds in excess of 400 kilometers per hour and a wingspan larger than 30 meters, although it was difficult to tell in the dark.

It was as if they were slapped with the extent of the technological gap between them and the enemy when their ground attack planes were faster than their own air superiority fighters. Well, they did not notice it because they were distracted only by the AC-3s flying leisurely above them, but immediately after the ceiling panel collapsed, an F-3C also came for reconnaissance. Moreover, an unmanned reconnaissance was also conducted just before that (they just did not notice it at all).

But without radar, few of them would have noticed the plane, which was gray and blended into the dark night, and which was flying at more than three times the speed they knew.

"What do you think will happen now?"

"Hmm... we police and firefighters are still there to a certain extent, but... the military has been annihilated, facilities, soldiers, vehicles, weapons... I guess we'll just have to surrender."

"That's—how can the brown ants surrender...?"

"But if the situation continues, the enemy can launch more attacks. We've already lost control of the sky and the seas. A friend of mine went to see the harbor and found it destroyed by what appeared to be a heavy artillery barrage. There are no warships left that can sail. I heard that most of the old battleships used for sea defense were also destroyed."