Kellus' Tour in Japan 2

This is the first chapter for this month.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of Shuri Castle. I have never been there myself, but I was surprised to see the news since it was rebuilt in 1992, the same year I was born.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 6, 2024

Kumamoto Prefecture, Kumamoto City

After spending the night in Kure, the group crossed over to Kyushu and came to Kumamoto. Today, they were to see a certain historical building.

"This is Kumamoto Castle, the pride of Kumamoto."

But the group could not believe their eyes. There were scaffolds here and there that looked like they had been repaired. Each part of the castle was in shambles.

"Mister Hattori, is this Kumamoto Castle...?"

"Kumamoto suffered an earthquake not too long ago. And this castle suffered the collapse of some of its roof tiles and turrets."

The major earthquake, known as the Kumamoto Earthquake, left many dead and missing. The SDF was also deployed for disaster relief, and there were various news reports every day.

"But not only Kumamoto Castle, but this whole area, including the surroundings, is now trying to rebuild. Our country has fought against natural disasters until now with an indomitable fighting spirit that will never be defeated, no matter how many times we have fallen on hard times."

Since the beginning of the Heisei era alone, Japan has been exposed to the fury of natural disasters caused by earthquakes, typhoons, heavy rains, and others in various places and weather conditions. However, Japan, led by the private sector and the SDF, has not been defeated and has risen again and again, developing various technologies each time.

In a kaijū movie that became a big hit in 2016, there is a statement that "our country has developed through scrap and build," and this is indeed true. Japan has a spirit of never losing despite the fury of nature.

"I see, never giving up and moving forward no matter what situation you find yourself in... I can't even begin to imagine how much hard work you've put in."

Kellus spontaneously put his palms together in the Japanese style of prayer, offering his prayers to those who had died and to those who were living now.

The rest of the tour was spent explaining the reconstruction of Kumamoto City and the surrounding area, and giving them an understanding of Japan's civil engineering and construction techniques.

As a side note, Kellus was surprised by the Kumamoto Prefecture's mascot that appeared to welcome him, but he liked them so much that he bought some of their goods. He said, "This kind of thing could be popular in our country, too!"

After all, humans may have a strange sense of humor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 6

Kagoshima Prefecture, Kagoshima City

The plan for today was to enjoy the famous Kurobuta pork here and take a hot spring bath. After shopping at the ryokan, they had lunch and looked at Sakurajima from the harbor area.

"Is that mountain... an active volcano?"

"Yes. It still occasionally erupts a plume of smoke."

"Volcano... I have heard that there are volcanoes in the southern part of the continent where we live. Come to think of it, Japan is said to be a country with many active volcanoes; do they erupt often?"