Kellus' Tour in Japan 1

Sorry, I really wanted to post this yesterday, but I had to work suddenly and was stuck at work from morning till night...

This is the first chapter of a tour of Japan by the dark elves.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 2, 2024

Japan, Aomori Prefecture, Misawa City

After leaving Tokyo, the dark elves traveled to Hokkaido for a gourmet and wilderness tour, and then visited the Air Self-Defense Force's Misawa Air Base in Aomori Prefecture. It was decided that the JASDF would perform a special show here. Also, when this was reported to the general public, many aircraft enthusiasts and military personnel were surprised, saying "We can see F-35 and American planes again, even though an air festival was also held in September!" and immediately flocked to the event.

When the dark elves planned their tour of Japan, they had the Misawa Air Base ready for them, as it was the only place in Japan where they could see both American and SDF planes together.

"As I recall, we can see the planes of Japan and its ally?"

Kellus asked Mizuki while picking up... some karaage (deep fried) that he had bought at a stall.

"Yes. In addition to the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force, the world's most powerful country in our previous world, with which Japan had an alliance before the transference, will also be flying here."

Although they used an airplane to move around the country, he was looking forward to seeing what kind of things would appear when he heard that they were aircraft for combat use.

'Even passenger planes were capable of speeds that were incomparable to those of wyverns and giant birds. How much more so for combat use...?'

Then, with the sound of "ding-dong-ding-dong," an announcement began.

"Thank you very much for gathering here today. We will now begin the Misawa Air Base 2nd Air Festival. Please look to your right. F-35s of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force and F-16s of the United States Forces Japan will fly side by side."

A few moments after the announcement, something approached with a thunderous roar.

"W-what is that noise!?"

Immediately after, dark gray and light gray arrowhead-like objects passed overhead. Hattori, who was sitting next to Kellus and the others, began to explain to the stunned dark elves.

"That is an F-35, a fighter jet with valuable capabilities that is only deployed only a few times in our country. The one flying next to it is the F-16, also known as the Fighting Falcon."

F-16

Although it was a fighter specialized for air superiority during its development phase, it was also given the capability of an attack aircraft due to its high potential, making it the first of the multi-role fighters. The US Air Force developed this fighter to take on the "low" part of the "high-low" concept, as the powerful F-15 was too expensive at the time.

At first, various shortcomings were cited, such as a lack of precision-guided bombing capability, but as the years went by, these shortcomings were improved. It is also characterized by its ability to operate a variety of weapons, including guided bombs and anti-radar missiles, not to mention various types of anti-air missiles.

As a side note, it is not well known to those unfamiliar with military equipment that it was the basis for the JASDF's F-2 fighter. However, it is not too much to say that the F-2 is a "freakishly modified aircraft that looks just like it" because it has been modified and developed in the Japanese style. In Japan, F-16s are deployed mainly at the USFJ's Misawa Air Base and it is a delight to the eyes of enthusiasts every time an air festival is held.