Gaiden 2: If She Flagged It

This is Kasami, who still has not been able to stay away due to Corona. This is the first chapter posted this month.

This time we have another heroine. Where in the world is Narusaka-kun's future...?

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 16, 2023

Japan, American Continent, Bay Morioka Base

Today, three staff members of the New World Biological Institute, a Ministry of the Environment-supported organization, were scheduled to visit this base on board a C-2 transport plane that was carrying supplies on a scheduled flight. The base commander, Yashiro, had already deployed an FT-4 equipped with two short-range air-to-air missiles to escort the C-2, which had already been detected by radar and was headed for the airspace in question.

By the way, as a side note, the anti-air missiles to be mounted on the FT-4 were originally planned to be the AAM-3 and AAM-5, but unfortunately, due to weight and space limitations, it was decided that four of these two types could not be mounted, and the ATLA was at a loss as to what to do. Uncertainty remains with two others.

Then, an engineer came up with an idea.

"What about the anti-air missile pods on the OH-1?"

"Oh, yeah!"

Compared to the regular AAM series, it is lighter in weight, but as an improved type of light SAM with higher performance, this guided missile pod, officially adopted as the Type 22 air-to-air missile, is equipped with two missiles. In order to extend the range, it uses a rocket booster accelerator to successfully extend its range by more than 5 kilometers, which has become a familiar sight in Japan.

Back to the topic.

The C-2 transport departed from Misawa Air Base, and since the distance from Misawa to the Bay Morioka Base was not that great, the plane was detected when it departed from the mainland. Some might say that if that was the case, there was no need for an escort, but safety came first.

"Commander, the transport will be arriving soon."

"Mm."

After a while, a large aircraft with gray camouflage paint slowly approached. With the distinctive sound of its turbofan engines, the C-2 landed on the runway. After landing and taxiing off the runway, the C-2 opened its rear door and unloaded a number of vehicles and supplies.

According to the data, this transport plane can carry 36 tons of cargo every time it unloads supplies for the Self-Defense Forces, and this time, as a special 'guest,' a car with New World Biological Institute's staff on board.

A small car from a manufacturer that is treated as a fungus by some enthusiasts and a medium-sized trailer came down from inside the C-2.

"I-is that?"

The car stopped in front of Yashiro, and a woman dressed in a white coat, who appeared to be in her late twenties, got out of the car.

"Hello, Major General Yashiro. My name is Mikage Genno of the Mammal Section of the New World Biological Institute."

"I am Commander Yashiro of the Bay Morioka Base. I know it's a bit of a grimy place with so many men, but I'm looking forward to working with you."

Yashiro and Genno shook hands and walked into the base. Genno, who is probably not familiar with military affairs, wondered if any of them are unusual, scurrying around and muttering to herself.