EC 1: Busy Day

"Our border has been breached," Zayier, the pack's Gamma, informed the Alpha of the current situation they were facing. Just a while ago, the pack was in an uproar at the sudden attack and not long after several reports were brought to the Alpha regarding the rogues that appeared within their borders.

"How many this time?" the Alpha, she walked towards the window that overlooks the pack house's flower garden.

"Not more than ten, it's a small group and we are dealing with them right now," Zayier was monitoring the situation with a frown. They had been fighting against these rogues for over five hours now and it seems that they were not tired of attacking.

"How many waves does that make now?" the Alpha was not happy with what was happening. They had been experiencing these kinds of random attacks every now and then but this was the biggest wave so far and that does not sit well with her.

"Okay, I'll leave it to you then," the mind link was cut off just as her Beta knocked on the door. Amber gave him permission to come in and a man with a wide grin opened the door.

"You called for me Alpha?" he asked after he had closed the door. He took a seat on one of the empty chairs in front of the alpha's table.

"How many attacks does that count now?" she rubbed her head and sighed after she saw the mountain of papers on her table that needed to be read and signed. She could not help but frown at all the problems that had been popping everywhere for the past couple of months.

"That would be the fifth time this month, these rogues had suddenly become active. It was already rare for these guys to be grouping with one another and attacking but for the past attacks all of their movements were organized. It was as if there was someone directing them." Zael had started to observe the rogues after the second attack and the longer he list out the anomalies of these attacks the more he was convinced that there was someone controlling them from behind. To have that many groups of rogues was already abnormal but to keep them coming for a total of five months was definitely concerning.

"What's the response of the other packs?" she had her arms crossed in front of her while avoiding the sight of the stacked documents in front of her. Those could wait because the matter about the attacks were more important right now.

Zael shook his head, "they are also busy since there were also similar attacks to them but they have started to investigate this matter as well so all I need to do is to keep in contact with them and exchange some information since I have already sent a team to look into this matter."

"Keep me posted then. I don't want the humans poking their nose because of these. It will only give us more problems." Aside from reports of the attack, she had also received several letters from the mayor that several humans had come to his office and reported sightings of wolves around the forest area of the city. "If we don't deal with the root of these, then we might as well be announcing to the world that our race actually existed."

"We will do our best." The beta had nothing to say and so was Amber so she dismissed the man. She was left to her own devices and with another sigh, she picked up the first document but even after reading its contents several times now, she could still not focus and she ended up leaving the document among the others.

She picked up the phone and dialed an all too familiar number. After a few rings, an annoyed voiced answered from the other side.

"Are you annoyed because I called?" Amber did not greet the man because she could sense that he was in a bad mood.

She heard a deep sigh before she heard him spoke, "those rogues are giving me too many problems, the complaints I have received are piling up and there were even reports about wolf attacks going on."

"I'm happy to hear that you are still holding on. Don't worry, we are doing our best to drive them away from Ceurian and Cartnan. I have also notified the elders to keep their areas free from the rogues. I also don't like any complications." It was only a pain for both her and him if these continued. Rogues prancing around like they owned the place was not appealing and with them appearing in groups and in succession was giving them a headache. Humans who became foolish because of myths or hearsays were also difficult to deal with so the matter of the rogues must be resolved before it becomes a hot topic around the city and the surrounding places.

"I'm glad to hear that from you Alpha. We all know how fussy humans are and if their curiosity gets the best of them, all of us might be put in danger." Mykel knew that the Alpha did not want to be involve in messes caused by humans. They were a problematic race and also greedy most of the time that they would stoop so low just to achieve their goals. Another problem that they might face if the rogue attacks continued would be the appearance of hunters.

"Zael had already put a team to investigate this abnormality and I want you to do an investigation on your side too. You might gleam some information from the human side that way we can use." They needed to explore all possibilities especially now that werewolves that were not affiliated to any pack can hide and socialize within human settlements and some of them might know something about what was currently happening.

The room temperature around the Alpha suddenly dropped at the end of her words while the mayor suddenly felt a chill run down his spine. "If I ever find out who is behind all this, I will not show them any mercy."

Mykel nodded his head even though the Alpha was not in front of him, the pressure from the Alpha was truly extraordinary. "I understand, once we find any clues or learn of any information, I will contact you immediately."

Amber received a report not long after she ended the call with the mayor that all of the rogues were already taken care of. Instead of letting their guards down, she ordered them to keep watch just in case another group of rogues appear and attack once again. The disturbance had already created enough panic and chaos inside the pack, she didn't want these events to continue and create unrest among her people.

The urge to run pushed her to leave the room because it was one of the ways that she could calm herself down. She did not think twice as she jumped from her study's balcony as she shifted mid air into her wolf form. Her huge wolf form landed gracefully on the ground as she shook her fur and let out a loud howl into the sky. She heard several howls from a distance as a response to hers and with that she took off and disappeared behind the dense foliage of the forest.

The feeling of the cool wind brushed through her made her exhilarated until she reached an open field near the border of her territory and of the Lurea Woods. She stopped then sat down to gaze at the forest that seemed lifeless but even so, its lonesome appearance strangely made her heart calm.

Lurea Woods, she had already heard from a long time ago that this forest holds secret that their forefathers had protected with their lives. They had told her so many times that no living being would be able to handle the secret inside the woods and that it might bring disaster if it were to be revealed to the world of her ancestors still protected it even without knowing what was inside it. As a child, she was fascinated and even until she became the Alpha of Ceurian, this forest still remained as a fascination that she can't let go.

She continued to watched the forest for a few more minutes when a strong wind carried a strange scent that made her alert. Her golden eyes brightened as she set out towards the direction where the scent was coming from. The stench got stronger as she got near the forest boundary, it became a little bit unbearable for her because of her enhanced sense of smell.

From a distance, she could already see a small group of rouges lying just past the first line of trees inside the Lurea Woods. She stopped a few centimeters away from the place to inspect the dead rogues but she was slightly taken aback from what she actually saw.

---

AN: Thank you for reading!