EC 15: Stare and stay

Amber's eyes widened as she started to look around but she did not see him anywhere. She was ready to tear the room apart when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around and bared her fangs toward the insolent person who dared to touch her.

Zael flinched but even in his fear, he still managed to talk to Amber. "Calm down Alpha. His smell is still here so there's no need for you to panic. He is still in this room."

With those words, the smell of silver moon flowers tickled her nose. She gradually calmed down the she took a couple of deep breaths before she was finally able to think straight. On the side, Zael comforted the assistant who was on the kneeling on the floor because of the Alpha's sudden outburst.

It took him a couple of tries before he was finally able to walk without falling down and opening his wound again. He used the wall as support so that he could get to the bathroom safely and he was glad that he opened the right door. Xander stopped on his tracks when he saw that there were people inside the room after he opened the door from the bathroom. It was the woman who gave her the food, another woman who was dressed in a doctor's coat and Zael.

He hesitated for a moment before he slowly walked towards them, "Is everything okay? Is she alright?" He looked at the lady who was kneeling on the floor.

Sensing that the atmosphere has darkened, Zael immediately stood up and went to stand in front of the Alpha who was already frowning and staring daggers at Xander. "Yes, everything is fine. She just lost balance and I was helping her stand up. She's the assistant that the doctor sent to help you and you've already met the person behind me."

Xander was in doubt but then he shrugged his shoulders and nodded. "Yes, she was the one who gave me the food but I never got to know her name."

"Ah is that so," he stepped forward and helped Xander towards the bed. He sat there and waited for the people in the room to speak because it looked like they wanted to say something, especially the woman who had been looking at him intently. He averted his eyes to look at something else because the woman's stare was making him a little bit uncomfortable.

Zael noticed the action then he looked at his Alpha and could only sigh and shook his head at her obvious reaction. He nudged her, 'Please stop staring at him Alpha, you are making him uncomfortable and it is rude to stare without even speaking.' He could only talk to her through the mind-link.

"Sorry for the late introduction, I'm Amber Claire de Lune," was her perfunctory introduction.

The Beta who was watching all of this play out wanted to just bash his head on the wall at how awkward the Alpha was acting. She was definitely not herself.

Xander brushed it off and also introduced himself. After the introductions, Misa carefully undid the bandage on his shoulder to check the wound. She carefully and meticulously cleaned the wound before redoing the bandage.

"The wound is healing fine, so there's no need to be worried now Alpha." She bowed towards Amber before she stepped aside to let the Alpha look at her mate.

Xander tilted his head because of how the assistant addressed the other woman. Zael lightly tapped him on his uninjured arm, "It's good that your wound had started to heal. I was worried yesterday because it reopened so you need to be careful from now on."

He narrowed his eyes, he wanted to ask a question but he silently swallowed it. "Yes, I'll be more careful. By the way, regarding the request, is there any other way for me to contact my family?"

Amber once again tensed at the statement before she forced herself to answer, "We are still working on it, since the communication signal here is a little bit unstable because we are a bit far away from the city."

It was too painful to watch the awkward interaction between the both of them so Zael decided to leave. He could not watch it any more, if they want to remain in that kind of standstill then he was not willing to be their audience.

"If you need anything, you can just look for any of us." Zael stood up, "We're leaving now." They left without looking back.

"Aren't you going with them?" he asked when he saw that Amber was not moving.

Amber shook her head, "I'll leave later."

Then there was silence. He did not know what to talk to about and she did not know what she should say. In the midst of these awkwardness, Xander remembered something so he gathered his courage to ask her. "Why do they call you Alpha?

Amber fell silent for a moment before she answered, "It's just something they call me because I am the owner of this place."

Xander was still confused but he chose to remain silent for now because he did not know if she would continue to answer him and there was another silence.

"If you are feeling well, we can ask the doctor to ask if you can leave this room and explore around since being inside a room all day is not good for someone who is still recovering. If she would agree then you should be careful if you wish to go outside, do not stray too far or enter the forest, since there are wild animals in there," She stood up and picked up the tray. "If you ever get hungry, the kitchen is in the first floor to the right after you get down from the stairs. But if you are not comfortable to eat in the kitchen, I can bring up the food for you."

He could not understand why this woman was paying him attention and he did not understand why he felt that the woman was a person he could trust despite the fact that he was a bit uncomfortable at where he was now.

"Have we ever met before?" there it was, his mouth was faster than his brain and he asked the question.

"No, we had not met before, this is the first time that I have met you." She answered without blinking and remained stoic.

"Alright, if that is so then let it be." He nodded and watched as she turned around to leave the room.

She returned the try in the kitchen before going to her office to take care of several matters she neglected to do. After sitting down, she immediately opened the mind link to the whole pack.

'Thank you for being patient with me. I know that all of you already knew that I have found my mate but he is human. I will make an official statement soon once I have talked to him. For now, I would like to ask for your cooperation to not reveal what we are so please bear with me for now.'

The pack gave an affirmative response to the Alpha's request and she once again thanked them. It was a joyous occasion for every werewolf to find their mate and they respected their Alpha, so even though some of them were yet unsure about it, they decided to remain silent for now.

She cut the mind link and remembered Zael's words, she dialed the mayor's number and held the phone while waiting for him to answer.

She heard a click followed by an angry voice, "Alpha! I have been waiting for your call! Why haven't you called me? Do you know how much effort I have done just to make sure that Engineer Castillo's family will be assured that he is safe? They had been pestering me for his location but I cannot tell them unless you give me permission. Is he really alright?"

Amber listened to the mayor's unending tirade with a cold face so when he finally stopped, she could only raise an eyebrow even though the mayor could not see it. "It is a complicated story. Yes, my mate is okay. You don't have to concern yourself with him."

Hearing the indifferent tone in her voice, Mykel could only sigh. "What do you mean that I don't need to concern myself - " he suddenly stopped speaking when he realized what he had heard. "Wait, did I hear it right? He is your mate?" the mayor's eyes suddenly widened at the information as he could not believe what he had heard. He wiped his face as he leaned on his chair only to sigh at the Alpha's answer.

"I believe that you are not yet deaf, Mykel." There was no reason for her to repeat what she had already said.

He went silent while looking for the words to say, "Is this the reason why Zael could not tell me the details?"

"Yes, it is a matter that concerns me and the pack that is why he must remain here because if he leaves, you know what will happen and I cannot risk that because I am the Alpha." Amber was not willing to let him go because even before she became his mate, she was the Alpha of Ceurian.

"But you cannot take him away from his family just like this. They have been worried especially that child, she had been crying nonstop." Mykel was aware of the implication of Xander becoming the Alpha's mate. It means that he needed to stay with Ceurian and help Amber with ruling the pack, that was to say that he knew Amber's identity.

"What child?" Amber's face distorted in anger with her fist clenched tightly. The aura around her suddenly spiked up as her eyes started to glow gold.