EC 99: When Midnight Strikes (Book 1 End)

It was a perfect night for a ball, and the mansion was full of lights. The great hall was full of people and music and laughter. The orchestra was playing their instruments with full of vigor. Wines were being passed down in an alarming rate, but the host was not worried.

This ball was only done once in every ten years. Every nobility were invited and this was the only time they can mingle and enjoy the night. It was also a time to see if there were changes in the past years. These nobilities would also take that opportunity to make connections.

But that ball was a bit different from the past, because of some rumors that have reached them. There were whispers and the topic has become heated on the other parts of the hall.

Ingrid pushed herself from where she was leaning and picked a glass of red wine from the server before she walked around. She could hear their whispers and she frowned at how ridiculous these rumors have evolved into. She did mot want to hear any of it any longer.

The loud sound of a glass breaking made the entire hall silent. Every pair of eyes looked at the direction of the sound, and saw a woman who was wearing a long mermaid dress that perfectly outlined the shape of her body. Her lips were as red as the color of her eyes, which she did not hide.

"We are here to party and socialize, as we did not have the chance to do so after the last Midnight Ball and yet here you are gossiping of topics which are completely nonsense," her sharp voice that carried authority swept through the grand hall of the Delacour Manor.

Nobody dared to talk as the woman was of the Delacour Clan, the purest vampire bloodline that have remained even after a thousand years. Ingrid Delacour, a descendant from the main branch of the clan, her authority within the Vampires was not to be trifled with. She was beautiful and influential to the point that many vampires would fall on her knees just to get to her good side.

"Ah yes, my sister is right, we should enjoy this night. There would be a Midnight Council where we can talk about that but for now, let's drink and dance!" A voice from the balcony declared, he was Ambrose Delacour, the heir to the Delacour Clan. He raised his glass and made a toast which distracted the vampires who attended the ball.

After that small ice breaker, the party proceeded smoothly and ended with no other problems. Even Ingrid behaved as well until the party had ended.

Slowly the grand hall was emptied and the only vampires left were those who would be attending the Midnight Council.

"Thank you for waiting, let's proceed upstairs for the meeting and I hope everyone enjoyed the ball," Ambrose stretched out his arms towards the stairs that lead to the upper part of the grand hall.

Some of them nodded, while the others did not have much of a reaction. One by one they filled the conference hall of the manor. Seated on the front seats were the heads of the major clans and the minor clans were seated behind them. Unaffiliated vampires and allowed spectators were seated at the back seats. At the head of the major clan leaders was Lucien Delacour.

He waited for the murmurs and whispers to die down before he addressed everyone.

"Welcome to the Midnight Council, I hope that all of you have been well these past ten years." His voice was carried until the corners of the room. He then raised the glass of wine filled with blood in his hands and tapped it lightly with a spoon. The others followed suit before they took a sip from their glass. This signaled the official beginning of the council meeting.

"Now, let's proceed. First on our agenda for tonight is the attack that happened with Ceurian." He paused for a bit to let the topic sunk in before he continued, "According to the reports I have received, the Blood Pack had done the attack but there is a speculation that another Vampire was involved in the incident." He closed the file he was reading them folded his hands on top of the table. It was the sign that the others could give their opinion.

"Absurd!" Was the first reaction they heard. "How can any vampire do such a reckless thing? Whoever did that had already put a target on our backs!" He almost growled in anger but he controlled himself since he was in front of the other clan heads.

"I can't say I fully agree, because on the other hand isn't it great that the world will finally know of our existence once again. We have been hiding for so many years now, isn't it time to create another history?" Another one chimed in which earned several grunts of agreement from the other clan leaders and attendees.

The statement ensued another round of whispered discussion. The first clan leader who spoke up glared at the other leader who only gave him a smirk.

"The werewolves has lost their power, there are no longer mages and the other races have gone too weak too. I haven't heard any movements nor news from the hunters too." Another voice pierced through the noise that made them silent once again. "Since the time is favorable, we can show our dominance again."

Nobody knew who clapped first but the other vampires followed. They've lived long enough, and most of them doesn't want to live in hiding any longer. Now that a time has finally came for them to be known again, they won't let it slip from their grasp.

"By that statement, it seems that you have something to do with the attack against Ceurian Clan Leader Maximilian?" A woman's voice sounded. It was quiet yet powerful enough to stop the others from their nonsensical murmurs.

The clan leader who spoke only chuckled, "Don't just jump into some conclusion Clan Leader Hestia especially if you do not have any evidence to support your claim." The man was not affected nor baited by the woman's words and answered with confidence.

"The Delacour clan, doesn't have any problems with your suggestion of making our clans be known again but we do mot agree with the kind of method used." Lucien gave the vampires a calm look before he comtinued, "Do not forget the reason why we hid, if our clansmen continue to do some unnecessary things with the excuse of helping our kind, I'm sure that no one from the Werewolves nor from the Hunters will remain silent. And one more reminder, do not underestimate those races, or you'll face death in their hands."