EC 85: Elders

Those sweet words touched his heart but he knew that none of them will happen and he did not want to give up this woman that has shaken his world. He tried to speak but all that came out from his mouth was only a gurgle and some more blood so instead he lifted his hands and touched the other's face, her eyes, her nose and even her lips before giving her a smile then she pushed her back.

Amber's eyes widened at the sudden action but her gaze never left him even as the tendrils of 'darkness' converged at one point and stabbed him in the heart. Everything happened so fast that she did not have the time to react and when all has settled down, the 'darkness' disappeared and so was his life.

Zayier who was wounded did not expect this turn of events. The scene that followed after they were pierced by the 'darkness' was not what he had expected, he thought that finally Amber can calm Xander and everything would be fine. He was not yet able to get out from his shocked state when he heard an inhumane growl. This guttural sound sent shivers to his entire being and every sense of danger in his body was screaming for him to go.

At the last moment, he was able to command the others to leave that place and retreat as far as they could. Even with their still recovering bodies they obeyed the gamma's command and fled. Zayier was already faraway but he could still feel the pressure of the Alpha maybe because they were connected through the bond of the pack.

The beta and the others who followed them met Zayier in his wolf form before he shifted to his human form with difficulty. Dr. Silver immediately checked his condition and thankfully there were no threat to his life, the only problem was that his wound was healing slowly but it was not a cause for concern. The real problem they should be facing right now was the Alpha who by the looks of it was on a rampage.

"What happened? We can feel the Alpha's rage all the way here," Zael had a frown on his face while looking at the direction where his brother came from.

Zayier firmly shut his eyes and shook his head. It took him a couple of minutes before he was able to talk about it. "Xander, Xander is dead."

A wave of silence reigned over the place as the implication of those words slowly sunk in to all the people who were there. An Alpha losing their mate only means one thing, they will turn into the most vicious and powerful rogue that was capable of wiping out an entire pack and in their Alpha's case, destroying Ceurian might not be enough to quench her blood lust. She was a descendant of the first Alpha of Ceurian who was considered a king during his prime and anyone who would know this will also know that once they go rogue nothing and no one can stop them.

"I'm afraid that what the enemy wanted was exactly this situation that was the reason why they kidnapped Xander and the reason why they were not afraid to be defeated. They had a back-up plan ready to explode anytime and now it happened," Zael spoke out the words that all of them realized.

"What should we do now?" one of the warriors with them asked because they were feeling loss now that their Alpha turned rogue. A pack without an Alpha is as good as already destroyed and they could become easy prey to the other packs, they were just lucky that the other packs had their own problems they're dealing with.

"Keep the Alpha here, we can't let her roam around. Return to Central and usher our pack members to leave. I'll also be calling the other elders here. We will do what we can to control her and make sure that she will not leave Ceurian." Elder Leonides spoke up and looked at Zael, "We can't fall down. Let us handle these and you focus on looking after our families." He stepped towards the beta and patted his shoulder.

"Elder..." Zael was reluctant to leave because he knew that what they would do was suicide. He can't let that happen though, their Alpha was already rampaging out there and now even their elders were thinking of risking their lives.

The elder only shook his head, "You don't need to worry about us. We are already old and has been living our lives comfortably because of the protection of our Alpha and the pack, now it is our time to protect our next generation."

Before Zael could answer back another voice interrupted him, "Did you become stupid? What are you standing there for like a stiff tree? Your elder already said that they will handle this and you looked like you still wanted to join us old bones and steal our thunder, leave." The elder who spoke was exactly the person who drove them away without them being able to ask their question.

"Elder Veron," Elder Leonides acknowledge the other man and gave him a nod. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"I did not expect it as well." He gave a curt nod to the other before refocusing on the beta who was still undecided. "Go! And don't get on our way." He pushed the beta and hauled the gamma from where he was resting then shoving him towards his silly brother. "Don't wait for me to get angry or else I'll get the Alpha's attention and let her chase all of you!" His frown became deeper and he even gave them a glare.

"Let's go," Dr. Silver grabbed Zael's arm and urged him to leave together with the warriors. "These old people are stubborn so let them do what they want."

After some more persuading, Zael left albeit reluctantly and he even looked back several times before they were out of sight. The two elders who were left behind could only look at each other while waiting for the others to come.

"It's been a long time since I saw you elder. You are still as energetic as ever and I am glad that you are here." Elder Leonides smiled at the man but the other remained cold towards him. He did not mind the treatment though because he was already used to it ever since they decided to remove him from his position. This elder was not liked by many and was a bit eccentric that the other council members felt that he was not suited to be a part of Ceurian's Council of Elders. His actions and suggestions every time they had a meeting were deemed to be only fantasy and outrageous but even so he was not discouraged that was until he was forcefully removed as a council member.

"It has since I realized that living away from the others was much peaceful," he simply answered and Leonides could not feel anything from those words. He knew that what happened was still a scar for the elder but he was still glad that the man remained the same even after all of that. "And I am here because as one of the oldest members of the pack, it is my responsibility to protect it and besides that I am here to protect to that child because that man asked me look after her."

Leonides looked at the direction of where the Alpha was and a deep look appeared on his face. Alpha Amber became the youngest Alpha of Ceurian after her father passed away. She was not ready but they could do nothing about it because the pack needed an Alpha. During that time, it was Elder Veron who looked after her and taught him all she knew that was also the reason why she disliked the Council because of what they did to the man who stood as her second father.

"I understand and do you have a plan in mind?" he asked. It was impossible for him to come empty handed. He was sure that the elder has a plan to save the Alpha without harming her.

"Do you really think that I am that kind of person?" Veron looked at the man with raised brows because he did not know where the man got the confidence.

"I'm just sure that you already have a plan in mind. I'll help you with whatever you plan to do. I am willing to risk it all for the Alpha and for the pack." Leonides once again smiled which only made the other man disgusted. He never liked the man's smile which seemed amiable but it was actually hiding some nasty thoughts.

"Hmph," he crossed his hands behind his back and did not speak to Leonides any longer. He already knew that the words from the man, he will carry it out so no need to worry.

This time the other elders one by one appeared until all of the twelve elders were completed. Upon seeing Veron most of them showed different expressions which only showed their hostility mixed with guilt at the same time.

"Now that all of you are here, we will now execute our role as the Council of Elders of Ceurian."