EC 38: She's an Alpha

She went out early that morning to help with the patrol and check on the borders of Ceurian but she did not expect to return only see her mate and that woman having a good time together. They were having a nice conversation under a tree overwatching the playground at the children's house.

Her day was totally ruined because of what she saw but she still gritted her teeth and walked towards them with a smile on her face. She called out with the both of them turning around which irked her even more.

"It seems that the relationship between you two had improved just for a day that I am gone?" she was still smiling but somehow that smile had given Xander a different vibe while simultaneously threatening Shiey. Her aura was also leaking which further stiffened Shiey because unlike the presence she revealed at the clinic, this time the aura was stronger.

Xander also noticed that there was something off about Amber so he stood up and approached her, "What's wrong? Did something happen while you are on patrol?" he asked out of concern. His eyes unconsciously roamed around her body but he saw no wounds.

Looking at this man who seemed to be so clueless, Amber's anger subsided. It could not be help, she needed to protect him from people who wanted to take advantage of his kindness. He was intelligent at work but in actual life situation why does he become a little bit dumb, that he can't even notice the looks that this woman was giving him.

She shook her head and held his arm, "Nothing, I guess I was just in a bad mood because I have met a shameless person." Her gaze landed on Shiey who remained silent behind Xander at the last words she had said.

Xander had on a frown on his face at Amber's words, shameless person? He could not help but think of any but he was not able to pinpoint who she was talking about. "Who is it?" so he asked the woman.

Amber's attention shifted to him again as she almost laughed at the displeased look on his face, "Well you don't have to know so forget about it. Why don't you come and accompany me to eat?"

"But I have already eaten lunch," he was confused as to why she was suddenly inviting him once again for lunch.

"It's okay, you can just have coffee while I eat and we can also talk about things while on it," Amber gave her a soft smile that was only reserved to people close to her.

Xander laughed at the sudden childish request but still he agreed to it, "Okay." He turned around to bid Shiey goodbye, "We will be going then Shiey."

Shiey could only nod because she was having a difficult time answering with the Alpha's aura pressing on her like a boulder. She thought that they were leaving already but then she once again heard Xander asking her a question.

"Why are you looking like that? You look so pale…" Xander was now a bit reluctant to leave after he saw that Shiey was not looking good. He was about to step forward to check on her but the woman immediately shook her head.

"I'm-I'm fine. I'll just rest and everything will be fine. You should go since the Alpha is waiting for you," her voice slightly shook because the pressure around her had gotten heavier and had made her breathing a little bit difficult but she still maintained her smile.

"Then you should go and rest, you must have been tired from taking care of the children," Alpha Amber pitched in with concern on her voice but Shiey did not buy it. She knew that the Alpha was doing this to interfere with them.

She would relent now but she promised herself that she would reveal the Alpha's true color to Xander. She was sure that he would not tolerate her anymore after that. "Thank you, Alpha, for your concern. I'm fine Xander, I just need rest."

Since she was being stubborn, Xander did not force her any longer and only gave a nod before he stepped back. "Alright, you should go and rest then. I'll see you again tomorrow."

Both of them left and when they were out of the children's house Amber spoke, "Let's go to one of the diners and try their food."

"Okay," was his simple answer. He was still a little bit worried around Shiey and he was not sure if it was alright for them to leave her just like that. "Is it really okay for us to leave her like that? She was still okay when I was talking to her then she suddenly looked like that."

"I might have been the cause of that. She'll be okay with rest since she must have been overwhelmed by my presence." She answered with half-truth and she would not let Xander know that she had done it intentionally because she was really annoyed with the woman.

"How can that be?" he was once again confused. There were really so many things about werewolves that he was not aware of.

"As you know Alphas are the rulers of a pack, this status also symbolizes their strength. In a way, other wolves could sense this strength or presence and wolves of lower status could easily be overwhelmed by this. I could hide this presence as to not overwhelm my pack members when I am interacting with them, but there are times that it can't be hidden that easily especially when I shift into my wolf form and then return to my human form." Amber explained, this reasoning was true but, in her case, she can easily hide her aura but this time she had released it intentionally as a warning to the woman who was aiming for her clueless mate.

Xander nodded, so it was like that, there were too many things regarding werewolves that he didn't know. What he knew was only the superficial things or what he had researched or read about them. "I think I need to learn more about your kind, especially those things that cannot be read from books or from the internet."

"Well, if you have any more questions, you are free to ask me." Amber was willing to teach him and explain to him how their lives are like.

Xander let out a laugh, "Alright, I'll do that later. Let's go and eat first since you have not eaten yet." Amber nodded then she led them to a diner that she frequents. They were welcomed with the aroma of freshly cooked dishes that wafted through the air.

"Welcome!" the waiter greeted them with a smile but his gaze lingered on Xander who was beside the Alpha. "We are happy to finally meet the Alpha's mate," he added.

Xander could only give them an awkward a smile since he was not yet used to being called the Alpha's mate. He would prefer to be still called by his name and not by this identity.

"Please, don't tease him and he is not used to how we do things here. Just call him by his name, Xander." Amber had already noticed that Xander would always flinch or look awkward whenever they were mentioning him as her mate. It seems that he was not comfortable with being called her mate as of now.

The waiter smiled then nodded, "I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. I'll make sure to remember to call you by your name sir Xander." The waiter was very respectful that it made him squirm in the inside.

"Just call me Xander and you can speak to me informally. I'm not comfortable with people talking to me in a very respectful way." He scratched his head and looked at Amber as he silently asked for help because he was having difficult time dealing with this kind of people.

Amber laughed because of how Xander was looking like right now, "Yeah stop talking like that. I never knew that the waiters here are speaking in that kind of formal tone. If any of your costumers would hear how you are talking right now, they might run away."

The waiter sighed before he shook his head in frustration, "It was the boss's command and honestly I'm sick of it."

Xander chuckled when he heard that and so did Amber, "Alright you can stop now so that we can go and have a seat."

"Oh, of course you can go now, I'll bring you the menu, just a sec." The waiter left so the both of them took that chance to look for a place where they can seat.

The waiter returned with the menu. Amber took it and ordered their specialties. "So do you have any more questions about us that you want to know?" she asked while they wait for the food to arrive.

"How does your positions in the pack work?" he knew that she was the Alpha, the highest ruler inside the pack, then how about the Beta and Gamma he had heard about.

"The Beta is my right-hand man, he was in-charge of everything happening inside the pack and he helps me with the reading of documents. He was also in-charge with dealing with requests from the mayor or any other packs. On the other hand, the Gamma was in-charge of maintaining the peace and order inside the pack. They were also looking after the safety of Ceurian." She explained then it was followed by other questions which she answered earnestly.

Their lunch went well and she had enjoyed herself, "Have you enjoyed the coffee?"

"Yes, and thank you very much for answering all of my questions."