EC 33: Pacifying her

He had been grumbling ever since morning and went to complain to Xander who was currently resting in the living room after playing with the children. He flopped on one of the couches and sighed loudly while leaning on it.

"What happened?" Xander asked after seeing the man who seemed to be very tired as he kept sighing ever since he sat down.

"The Alpha is in a bad mood," he mumbled followed by frown before he faced the man. "When she is in a bad mood, my work would only get more difficult since she is a bit difficult to handle when she is not happy. I have been tortured the whole morning because of this, she would often glare at me too!" his tirade made Xander shrug his shoulders. He had already gotten used to the man's complains that sometimes he would only sit there and listen to him then after that he would forget all of Zael's complains.

"Have you asked her, what caused her mood to be bad?" he asked. Zael leaned again on the chair and let out another sigh.

Zael wanted to ask but every time he attempted to do it, the Alpha would only scowl at him. He then gave up the idea and focused on his work instead so that the Alpha would not get angry because of him.

"I don't have the courage to do so because she might just yell at me," he mumbled. A bitter smile on his face. "No matter how long I have been working with the Alpha, I will still never get used to her usual poker and cold face."

"Perhaps something might have happened this morning," Xander nodded while thinking of anything that had caused the Alpha to remain angry all day when he realized something. 'That can't be the reason, is it?' He asked himself in silence.

Zael continued to sigh like the world was going to end soon. "Can't you do anything about it? You are her mate so perhaps you could calm her down."

Xander narrowed his eyes towards the man, "Yes, she is my mate but we are still not in that kind of relationship. We are still on the stage of knowing each other. I don't think that I can do that."

"You can just go and try, please," he clasped both of his hands and looked at him earnestly. "Just go there and try, okay. I could not go like this for the rest of the day." He was truly desperate and right now Xander was the only person he could ask help.

He did not want to go but Zael had not stop pestering him until lunch so he relented and went to check on Amber.

The person who was the topic of their conversation was currently inside her office with a straight face. She had been grumbling all morning about the woman who had been talking with Xander. That person was not that simple, she clearly had something for Xander it was the only reason why she tried to approached her mate. She would never believe her excuse that she happened to see Xander and just approached him.

There was something off about that woman and she did not like it. Her morning consisted of these endless thoughts and she could not concentrate on her work.

"I give up," she muttered to herself before leaning on her chair and massaging her head.

'We can easily get rid of her if you want,' Eirian exclaimed in annoyance. She too had been displeased at what they saw and at times like this she had the tendency to become violent.

'We can't do that, although I am not happy that she is getting near Xander, I can't just kill her. She is still a member of Yulian,' Amber answered while sighing. She was becoming frustrated and she did not like it. She was at a loss on what to do when she smelled a familiar scent coming from the hall.

Xander took a deep breath before he knocked on the imposing door. If it was not for Zael, he won't be coming to the Alpha's office to disturb her. She was already on a bad mood now and he did not know what he should do when he enters the room.

Amber called out and the door opened, the man who had been occupying her mind entered. She was happy to see him but that was short lived because she was again reminded of the reason for her current dilemma. She was now more annoyed more than before.

"Why are you here?" she asked a little bit harshly which made Xander flinch and close his eyes.

He took a deep breath before he finally spoke, "I just came to check on you since Zael told me that you seemed to be in a bad mood, is everything alright?"

Amber clicked her tongue while Xander froze and a look of disbelief in his eyes. This was unexpected, it seems that Amber was really not in the mood to talk. Hearing no answer from her, he decided to leave and let her be for the time being. He had only taken a few steps back when he heard an angry voice.

"Where are you going?" she was not happy that Xander was just going to leave like that. "You came here to check on me and yet you are already leaving?"

He sighed and turned around, "Well, you were busy so I just wanted to let you be and return later."

Another sigh, it was a day of sighing for her. She stood up and walked towards her mate, "I'm sorry. I was just a bit irritated and I did not mean to be angry."

Xander smiled, "I understand. Can you tell me what put you in a bad state? Maybe I could help and cheer you up?" His smile turned awkward after he said those words then he hid it behind an awkward laugh.

Amber stared at him, those were words she never heard from anyone because of her status, because she was an Alpha. A position of power and strength that if you show any weakness others would surely mock and look down on you.

"You already cheered me up," the irritation, the frustration and even the scowl on her face disappeared.

Xander was a bit confused, she was angry just a while ago but now she was smiling like nothing had happened. "Oh, okay, then I'll leave now. I don't want to disturb you any longer." Although he did not know what happened, Xander was relieved that she had calmed down.

"I'll see you at dinner," Amber let him go since she was already in a good mood. Having a mate was really rewarding. Her steps were bouncy as she returned to her chair and continued with her work.

On the other hand, Zael had been pacing back and forth on the living room while waiting for Xander. He was worried that they might start fighting again because of his request. He had been combing his hair with his fingers as he paced already regretting his selfish request.

As he heard the footsteps that were coming down, he looked up and saw that it was Xander. He did not hear any shouting nor argument then that was a good sign but he did not understand why Xander was looking confused.

"What happened?" he approached the man with worry written all over his face. He even checked if the man had injuries on him just to make sure.

"You can go now and work. She's fine and seemed to be in a good mood right now," he answered.

"Really! That fast? What did you do? Did you perhaps…you know…" he wiggled his brows while throwing meaningful looks at Xander.

The latter frowned, "What are you saying? We just had a conversation and that's it. I don't know what happened but after that she was okay. She even got angry at one point but suddenly she was smiling. I really did not understand what had happened."

Since the man was not joking, Zael did not continue to tease him. "Thank you so much then, I owe you one."

The next day, Xander was surprised at the unexpected company during his morning run. Amber woke up and prepared early in order to join her mate with his morning run. Instead of watching the warriors train she opted to accompanying her mate and ditched her routine.

"It's too early, you should be sleeping right now. You were working earnestly yesterday and barely rested…" he trailed off when he saw the weird look the Alpha was giving him. She was also smiling from ear to ear that he was at a loss of words.

"It's alright. I'm used to waking up early anyways so instead of watching the warriors train, I'd rather join you. This way we can build our friendship even more." She shrugged and continued to look him in the eye with her smile. Now that she had something to do other than monitoring the pack warriors, she had gladly accepted the change.