EC 77: Attempting escape

"How's that woman doing?" the voice was especially clear and powerful amidst the silent room where they were at. He was flipping through the documents on his desk while waiting for the Monolith to answer.

"She's doing well," the Monolith reported with a smile. He was standing in attention in front of the man's table. "We will have him in our hands any day now."

"That's what I like to hear since these past few days our attempts had been continuously deterred. Ceurian really deserved to be called the strongest pack. I thought that after the previous Alpha's death that their pack will weaken but I did not expect Alpha Amber to be doing well." He closed the folder he was reading and stroked his chin before chuckling like there was something amusing about what he had said.

"But their reign will eventually come to an end once we get a hold of her weakness. I believe that our goal is already at hand Alpha." Every word that came out from his mouth sounded confident because they had been readying for this for a long time and gathered many who they can use just for this moment.

The mysterious Alpha nodded at his words. They prepared for this for a long time to finally relieve them from the grudge and hatred they had towards those who had shunned them away and forced them to live in the darkness. Once they destroy all of those so-called righteous packs, their reign will begin. They won't be like those cowards who only knew how to hide themselves, they will thoroughly enjoy their freedom once every thorn in their path was cleared.

"Inform me once we have him. I'll see how that arrogant Alpha will beg for her mate's life."

Monolith left after the Alpha's words. He will go and take a look at the progress of their current task and to make sure that the woman will not dawitch the goods too badly since they needed him at least alive for the next step of their plan.

On the abandoned warehouse, Xander was still looking around and opening every room he could in hopes of finding his sister. There was only one last room left and his hands was already trembling because he was not sure if his sister was really there. He was not sure if the person who sent him that message was bluffing or just making fun of him but he was still there because he was worried about his sister at least his sister's reaction was not fake.

His grip on the door's handle tightened and with a deep breath he pushed it open. A small body came barreling towards him and hugged his legs tightly. He could feel her body trembling and his pants was wet with her tears. Xander immediately got down and hugged the shaking child.

"I'm here, I'm here, don't be afraid." He consoled her and gently patted her back to try and calm her down.

"Brother," she cried as her hug tightened. She was gripping her brother's clothes as tightly as she can and without hesitation, Xander lifted her and they left the room.

His heart was pounding loudly as they made their way down the second floor unto the first floor. Xander was only focused on the exit and hastened his steps to leave the place. He did not want to stay in that place for a minute longer.

He was about to breath a sigh of relief after he stepped out but what met them was a group of growling wolves. Xander took a step back and pressed his sister's back, "Don't look and close your eyes Xerra."

Xerra nodded her head and tightly closed her eyes. She heard the growls but still followed her brother's words but the trembles in her body did not stop.

Xander could not understand why these kinds of wolves were there. He thought that he will only be seeing them against Ceurian but why did they appear where they were? The question kept on ringing on his mind but no matter how he thought about it, he could not think of an answer and he did not have time to think of one because one of the wolves started to step towards where they were.

He turned around and entered the warehouse again and closed the door then secured it with its lock. He placed Xerra on the ground and pulled anything that he could use to barricade the door before he picked up Xerra once again and ran towards the direction of the back door. As an engineer he has a basic knowledge of the general lay-out of any common buildings so he ran towards where he believed the back door of the warehouse was and he was right because he could already see it.

His steps became faster but he did not stop because he could already hear the barricade, he put against the door falling down. The door was slammed opened as he dashed through it towards the forest behind the building.

"Hah...hah...hah..." he could already his breathing and the burning in his legs as he continued to run without looking back. He did not want to stop no matter what happens. The though of his car even crossed his mind but they can't go back now because the rogue wolves were already after them. His vision started to get blurry but he knew that he can't stop. He could not stop but then he realized that no matter how much he tried to escape, against a bunch of non-human enemies, he was nothing.

A tree root was on his path but he did not even see it which caused him to trip and tumble on the ground. He instinctively placed his hands behind his sister's head and angled his body to be the first to receive the impact of the fall. They rolled for a couple of seconds before he was finally able to stop his body's momentum.

"Are you alright?" he asked his sister who became silent after the fall. He looked at the child in his arms and smiled when he saw that she was fine aside from the small scratches on her skin. Xander was glad that there were no major injuries on her.

Xander sat up and looked around to see if he could find a place where they could hide but all he could see were trees. "Listen Xerra let's climb a tree alright. We will be safe there so I want you to be strong and don't be afraid okay. You don't need to look down just look ahead of you." Xerra nodded at Xander's words and clang to him tightly while he did his best to scale up the tree with high branches. His sweat was trickling on his back and on his face but steeled himself and continued to climb up the tree because he could already hear the growling of the wolves getting near to where they were.

He took a look at his sister and made his decision. He brough out another phone that he brought with him and gave it to Xerra. "Listen to me Xerra, I'll go down and lure the wolves away from here so I want you to call Carl once we are faraway. Once you call him, he will eventually know where you are."

Xerra was startled at her brother's words, "No! I don't want you to go!" she clutched her brother's hand and gripped his clothes. "I want to stay with you brother! Please don't leave me!"

His heart broke but he can't let those wolves trap the both of them without even having the opportunity to call for help and those wolves were not ordinary. He can't let those wolves hurt his sister. He clasped her hands and patted it gently then he wiped his sister's tears. "I will come back Xerra. I will always come back to you. And once you call Carl, the both of you can come and save me alright."

Xerra's hiccups continued but she was still holding on to her brother's sleeves but Xander already made up his mind because he knew that those wolves were actually targeting him. If he continues to stay with Xerra there would be a bigger chance that not only those rogues might come. According to Zael, the people behind those rogues were also working with some witch and vampires and even though he was not clear as to why he was being targeted, he did not care what was important to him was his sister's safety.

"Xerra," he gently lifter his sister's face so that they were looking at each other before he continued to talk, "I know that you are scared but I need you to be brave right now. After I go down from this tree, call Carl immediately okay so that he can come earlier to help me. Everything will be fine." He held her close and gave her a hug once again before letting her go.

She watched as her brother climbed down the tree and went to a different direction away from where she was. Even though her hands were trembling badly, she still managed to dial Carl's number and he picked up at the first ring.