EC 4: Shameless

"Shameless!" a wave of deadly aura swept through the room once again. She did not greet the person on the other line. "How dare you impose on us?" she was gritting her teeth to control her anger but the only thing she heard from the other person was a sigh.

"Alpha please understand, I am not imposing on you. I was requesting, haven't you read my letter?" Mykel massaged his head to reduce the headache coming through from the alpha's anger. He knew that it was not the right time but as the mayor of a city he could not straight out tell the other party that they can't proceed with their plans because of rogue werewolves. Who would believe him if he said so?

"You know that we are currently dealing with rogues and you let some humans do whatever they want, now you even want us to be their bodyguards?" she was about to explode as her hand gripped the phone tightly.

"That plan was already set even before the problem with those rogues appeared and all of the permits and requirements were already completed. They were only waiting for the site inspection to finish before they start and it happened to be this weekend. I have already done my best to let them extend the date of the inspection but the owner of the land was adamant about it being done as soon as possible and besides that, that land was his so I don't have much say about how they should develop it." He defended unless he had a heavy reason, then he would definitely discourage them but this time he can't. "Would you have preferred it if I told them that there are vicious werewolves around the area that's eat people? Do you think they would believe me?"

Amber became even more angry, "You should have made any excuse then. We don't really need this right now since we are busy with all these rogue attacks."

Mykel sighed in exasperation, he was starting to regret calling the beta and sending that letter now that the alpha was obviously not backing down. "There was no excuse I could use nor make because that land is not mine nor yours. Whatever they want to do with it, I'm out of it and all legal documents have been completed. Aside from that, the area around that land was declared safe and owned. That declaration was signed by previous alphas and by yourself, now we need to take responsibility of that claim. One more thing, that vacation house was a proposal from a dear friend to commemorate his wife's passing. It was supposed to be a gift to her but she had already passed away." The alpha strangely remained silent so the mayor continued on, "I'll give you time to think about it alpha once you have calmed down. I hope to hear from you tomorrow." Mykel took the initiative to step back and hanged up the phone. Amber slumped on her chair with her eyes closed. She thought about her conversation with the mayor and the more he thought about it the more she felt that she needed to accept the mayor's request.

In the modern world, the existence of such supernatural being were considered as folktales and legends, just stories to scare children. On the other hand, if word gets out that there were sightings of werewolves, hunters might appear and will be an added headache for her. She sighed once again and it was out of character for her to be this angry. The stress caused by the events must have gotten to her.

'Zael, come to my study,' she called out through the mind link. Not long after, her beta once again entered the room with his pale face and shaking legs.

"Call Mykel and tell him that we accept his request then go and assign a unit to patrol that land this weekend." After that she waved her hand for Zael to leave. The beta carried out the command without complaints.
The next morning, Amber received another call from Mykel. "Good morning alpha. Thank you for generosity and I'm sorry for dropping that in the midst of what is currently happening."

"You don't have to so apologetic over what happened yesterday. I was on edge and I took it out on you so I was also in the wrong." She admitted so the man on the other side of the phone could not stop the smile on his face. This was one of the things that he liked about the alpha; she knew how to admit to her mistakes. "It's too early for you to be happy, this matter must be presented to the elders and if one of them is against it then you'll have a problem on your plate."

"Ah yes, I almost forgot due to my excitement that you still have those old guys," he laughed and shook his head. "I'll be leaving them in your care then alpha."

Amber sighed and leaned on the couch with her gaze on the ceiling of the room, "My day won't end well. You are one lucky man that I even considered this ridiculous request of yours. If not for that story I would not allow something like that to be even built anywhere here in Madlaw or even near Ceurian but you were right, we do not own the whole of the Madlaw so we need to respect whatever the other owners wanted to do with their lands."

The mayor's smile widened, "You should take this chance to rest alpha since you'll be facing ferocious beasts later."

It was Amber's turn to laugh at the statement, "Beasts, yes they are but most of the time I'm fond of them though."

They talked for another thirty minutes about other matters and the atmosphere was significantly lighter this time compared to yesterday. They were talking comfortably until Amber bid the other goodbye and ended the call.

"I thought you would not agree, so why did you say yes? You were very angry yesterday that the pack house was subjected to your suffocating pressure." Zael looked at Amber who was currently having a break from her work. She appeared to be deep in thought but he knew that she was listening to him.

"Do I really need a reason why?" she returned a question instead. It was clear that she was not in the mood to talk about it.

Topics about family had always been a touchy to topic for her and the whole pack knew about it so Zael or Zayier would bring it up once and a while in hopes that the alpha would open up to them because they wanted to help her ease the pain for even a little.

"I won't ask then." Instead of pursuing the matter, he contacted the elders through the mind link and informed them of the emergency meeting.

Once all of the elders were already gathered, she went to mee them only to shook her head because of their serious faces. Some of them were even frowning and giving her a glare but she only gave them a wide smile.

"Elders thank you for coming to this abrupt meeting. I hope that I did not disturb your rest," she greeted them as she sat on the chair that was pulled by Zael. The elders could only grumble on their own at the unhidden sarcasm behind the alpha's words.

"We don't have much choice do we, the notice said that it was an urgent meeting so no matter if we are busy or not, we still came at the shortest time possibl," one of the elders answered with his hands crossed on his chest. None of them were wearing a smile and she was secretly pleased to see her beloved elders frowning.

"Actually, the matter was already settled but because I am generous, I still wanted to inform you of it. A vacation house would be built on the land next to our southern border and Mayor Mykel had asked me to include it on our area of patrol for safety reasons, since I did not see any problems with it, I agree to his request."

Whispers started to fill the room as the elders started to talk among themselves and argue for a few minutes as though the alpha was not there. She remained patient though despite that because it was entertaining to see that the elders were not shouting nor hurling insults during a meeting.

"Even if we don't agree, we know that the alpha will still push for it. Personally, I do not agree with it because it will only add trouble to us. Even though it is a private property we can't stop any of the visitors' curiosity." One of the elders voiced out his stand on the matter.

"First elder is right, I too, do not agree. Humans are curious beings, we may be able to discourage them from entering our territory but we are not sure if we can continue doing that in the future," another elder added.

She knew that not all of the elders will agree but since she had already accepted the request, then she can only see it through. "Elders, no need to worry because I will take full responsibility if something unprecedented happens. I will also personally oversee the patrols that will go around the area until the construction is finished."

There was silence then another wave of whispers and the moment that the elders were done, one of them spoke, "Since the alpha is willing to take responsibility, then we will not argue anymore."