EC 23: Missed them

"Xander! Thank God you finally called! Where are you? How have you been? Do you know how worried we were because we couldn't find you!" all was said in one breath and the man who was listening had a smile on his face as he listened to the rapid fire of questions towards him. "Why aren't you answering?"

"Nothing, I'm just happy to finally hear your nagging voice." A light chuckle followed those words which let Carl knew that Xander was truly happy.

"I'm relieved that you finally called," he sighed. "Xerra had never been her usual cheery self."

Xander stiffened at the mention of his sister whom he had missed since it has almost been a month since the last time that he saw her. "Is she there?" he asked hoping to have a conversation with her.

"She's sleeping but I can wake her up for you," Carl stood up and walked towards the child's room.

"No. You don't have too, let her sleep some more. When she wakes up, you can call me." Xander stopped him because he was sure that her sister was exhausted.

Carl stopped and took one look at the door before returning to where he was sitting. "What happened? Why did you just contact me now?"

"I can't tell you everything right now but I'm hoping that in the future I can tell you." He had made a promise and he needed to keep it.

"Why?" Carl frowned at his friend being secretive. He did not feel good that Xander was not telling him what had happened.

"It's complicated but you don't have to worry because I'm fine and I'll be able to call you anytime now." He was happy, Carl could feel it even though he was worried he was still glad to confirm that his friend was alive.

"When will you return then? ENIGMA is running smoothly but it still needs you because you are the CEO and most importantly Xerra needs you, even the project with Mr. Alvarez needed to be postponed because of your disappearance." It has been a mess after his disappearance and he had used his influence to keep some greedy people away from Xander's company but he can't keep this up for long.

"Not now, but I'll be definitely coming back. Keep ENIGMA safe for now and take care of Xerra for me. With regards to the project with Mr. Alvarez, you can continue with it. If any problems arise you can call me. I will also personally call Mr. Alvarez to apologize. I won't be there personally but I'll continue to support you from where I am." He could not explain his current situation but he can still help in directing them through a phone call and he hoped that it was enough.

It would be a bit difficult but he needed to be resourceful in his situation. In this kind of situations, he was glad that he had Carl as his friend with him out there he was comforted that the firm and his sister were both in safe hands.

Carl was confused but he did not voice out any of his questions because Xander was adamant on keeping everything a secret. He did not know what situation his friend was in right now but knowing that he was alright will suffice for now. "I understand but you should come back and don't take too long, those greedy people had already started to move."

Xander nodded even though Carl could not see it, "Thank you as always and sorry for leaving everything to you. I'll do my best to support you. I'll also find a way to be able to contact ENIGMA and inform them that I am still alive."

"That's good. Since you have been gone, some of the members of the board of directors were trying to take control of the company. It was a good decision that you made my parents one of the BOD's. Contact Lillian as soon as possible." A week had only passed after Xander's disappearance and some of the board members had already tried to run the firm like it was theirs. Lillian and his parents took preventive measures to stop those people but it would not be enough, as long as Xander's state was not confirmed they would not stop.

Yes, Xander was lucky that he had people like Carl and his parents to back him up when he was in a pinch. "It was the best decision I have made so far."

After that, they had talked a little bit more about the next step they should take while he was away then he bid his friend goodbye and dialed another number. He waited for the other person to answer and when he did, Xander immediately apologized.

"There's nothing we can do about it. I heard that you were wounded by one of those wolves, are you alright now?" Mr. Alvarez asked after accepting the young man's apology. For now, his health was more important than the project.

"The wound has already healed thanks to the people who had helped me so there's no need to worry," he was touched at his concern. "But I won't be able to return for now, so if it is okay with you, I will be leaving Carl in-charge of the project for now. With regards to communication, I will continue to talk with him even though I am not there in person."

"It's alright, I know that Carl will do a good job so I don't have a problem with him being in-charge. But why won't you be able to come back?" Mr. Alvarez became curious since Xander had already told him that he was already healed.

"It's a little bit complicated and difficult to explain, but I'll be coming back soon, it's just not now," he gave a bitter smile in the darkness since the sun had already set and the lights in the room was yet to be switch on.

Mr. Alvarez felt that he should not probe any longer, "I understand and I'll be hoping for your safe and early return. I'll go now so you should have rest, let's have another talk in the future."

The call ended and Xander lied on the bed in deep thought. He wanted to return home but with his current situation, he needed to bid his time and go along with them. He might also need to do what the Alpha wants in order for him to remain on her good side, that way he can gain their trust.

Throughout the whole conversation Amber was outside the room, at first, she did not intend to listen but she still did because she wanted to make sure that he would keep his promise. After hearing the conversation, she did not know what to think and went back to her office in a daze.

She suddenly felt conflicted after knowing something about his life out there in the human world. 'Are you regretting your decision?' her wolf asked with a frown.

"I'm not sure what I am feeling right now," she answered. It was a foreign feeling and she had no idea on how to deal with it. Amber wanted her mate beside her but on the other hand he had a life without her because he was a human.

'What if he changes his mind once you tell him that we are his mate?' the wolf suggested but Amber shook her head.

"He is human, they do not have the concept of mates. He might hate us after he learns that we are his mate and that the reason we are keeping him here is because of that fact." She did not want him to hate her and she had promised herself that she would not hurt him again. "Let's take it slow from now."

The next day, Carl called Xander once again and the excited voice of his sister. Both of them talked with each other for half a day although Xerra was reluctant she still relented to his brother's request.

"I know that you have not seen me but I promise that I'll come back, alright? Why don't we have a video call the next time I call you?" he suggested to ease her sister's worry.

"Yes! I really want to see you brother!" Xerra agreed in an instant. Hearing his brother's voice and seeing him online would be enough for now since he had already promised that he would return home.

Their conversation ended just as the door opened and Amber entered with a tray of food on her hand. "Don't you have any other things to do?" he wondered after observing her for a while.

"Why?" she asked, a little bit confused at the question. She looked at him after placing the food on the table.

"Because you are always the one bringing my food. You are the Alpha right? I'm sure that you are busy with things within your territory," he waved his hand and stood up. He slowly walked up to where she was and stopped a few centimeters away from her.

"Zael can do it and I trust him. If I'm needed, he can always call for me." Instead of leaving she chose to stay.

Xander felt uncomfortable at that, "Aren't you going to leave?" he asked while giving an awkward smile.

"No, I'll stay here for a while," was her simple answer and Xander could do nothing about that.

"Are you going to watch me eat then?" he sat down with a stiff expression on his face. If she answers yes, then he would not be able to eat in peace.

Amber nodded and Xander could only internally face palm and sigh. He tried to eat his food without being conscious of Amber but he can't ignore her like that.

The Alpha observed all of his movements so she did not miss him placing the spoon down. "Is the food not delicious?"

"It is delicious but I can't eat with you here watching me and honestly you are creeping me out." He shuddered at the stalkerish actions of this woman and she was even doing it openly.

Amber sighed before she stood up, "Alright I'll leave then."

She sounded disappointed but he could not let her stay. He had already felt like a prisoner and at the same time he felt like he was not because of how she was treating him. Although he was still not allowed to go out, he still felt like not a prisoner somehow.