EC 90: Decision

The elder remained silent and averted his gaze. Instead of giving Leonides an answer, he decided to continue tending to his garden. A month has already passed but there was still no sign of the Alpha or her mate and Lurea Woods remained hidden from them. After the first week that there was no news, he tried to enter but no one appeared, the forest remained like a normal one.

"Elder," Leonides called out again. Although he appeared calm, he was actually worried because no one among them knew what the status of their Alpha was. He tried to contact their Alpha through the mind-link but he was blocked.

Veron sighed and stopped what he was doing before he stood up and narrowed his eyes at the man who remained firm from where he was standing. "I do not know. I already went there so many times but the mages did not appear and the woods remained ordinary. I could not feel the darkness that was once residing in that place."

"Is it safe to assume that it did not succeed?" He was not reconciled but based on how the situation was progressing, they might not see their Alpha once again. He took a deep breath and shook his head even the other elder had no words to say.

It was solely his responsibility and he was ready to take the blame for it. "This time, you need to step up and support Zael to be the next Alpha, no matter what the others say, that child has what it takes to be the next leader of Ceurian. Although the blood of the first alpha doesn't flow in his veins, I believe that he can lead the pack and his brother will be a good support to him."

"Aren't you going to stay?" There was a bit of hesitation on his voice as he asked the elder. His eyes softened with his shoulders that slowly slumped in defeat. He knew what the elder was implying but he has no power to stop him.

"I have lived long enough and I believe that I have fulfilled my duty as an elder for this pack. It is time for me to step down that way none of the elders can blame anyone." He stood in the middle of that vegetable garden without losing his dignity as he said those words with a smile on his face. He'd rather leave to spare himself from the scrutiny and preserve his dignity.

"I understand." There was no need for comforting words as both men stood there in silence then Leonides decided to bid the man goodbye and left.

Veron looked around him, at his beloved garden at the home he had built and lived for so many years. Everything was finally coming to an end; his years of suffering and joy was ending and strangely enough he felt light hearted even though he knew that Amber de Lune will not be coming back. Maybe it was because of the fact that in that place, she was with her mate since her instincts to protect what was hers remained even until the end.

He looked up at the sky and started to mutter, "If you ever give them another chance, I hope that you'll let them live happily together." He turned around and went towards his home to spent his remaining time in Ceurian in a relaxed manner.

Zael heard the knock and with his permission Elder Leonides entered. He was a bit surprised at the unexpected visitor and was a bit late in offering him a seat but he did not forget to offer him coffee. He let the elder wait for a short while as he made coffee for him and even served it personally.

"How is the pack?" he casually asked with his eyes roaming around the man's office. He took the cup and took a sip then he nodded his head in approval before placing the cup on the table again.

Zael sighed and shook his head, "The pack has been doing well these past days though the atmosphere is still a bit gloomy at least the members are getting by. I just hope that the Alpha returns I can't keep doing this forever, it's making me lose my hair!" He complained with eyes that showed frustration and even his well-kept self has become unkempt due to the responsibility that was given to him.

He honestly believed that he was not suited for that kind of work but because he was the beta and the Alpha's second-in-command, he needed to stand up and pretend that he could do everything perfectly just to keep the pack running and to ease the worries of their people.

Elder Leonides could only give the man a smile. Even though he was always complaining, he was still doing his work and was doing them efficiently. He always made sure that there were no problems and that everything was in order. After doing all of that he would take a break and complain to his brother or to anyone who was free to listen to his rants but even so, Elder Veron was right, he might seem a little bit childish but most of the time, he was a responsible beta.

Even though it was not a topic that everyone talks about because of his brother, Zael was also a certified warrior and was actually as good as his brother but because he was the beta, he was stuck with paper works and helping Amber with running the pack but during a battle he was as strong as his brother. They were the strongest pair of wolves only next to the Alpha and when he wants it, he can have an aura that can dominate anyone who was weaker than him. It was just that he did not have any chances to show what he can do in the battlefield but with regards to the ins and outs of what an Alpha does, he was already well versed with it.

After talking for a while, Zael finally realized that the elder was not speaking and was only looking at him, "Is there something wrong elder?" he suddenly felt ominous after seeing how the elder was looking at him with a small smile. He was not liking the vibe coming from the man, it was like the feeling of the calm before the storm.

"I can see that you are actually enjoying what you are doing," the man laughed then nodded his head in satisfaction.

Zeal became more unnerved at the action and the urge to run away from the man was starting to kick in. With his instincts that was honed for years, he could not help but think that something bad was coming his way.

"What do you mean elder? How can you say that I am enjoying what I am doing when I am always complaining and can you stop looking at me like that," he narrowed his eyes towards the elder, "you're giving me goosebumps and I don't like goosebumps, I hate it with all I have."

Elder Leonides let out a loud laugh, this child was really amusing, he could not help but think to himself. At least the life in Ceurian will not be as dull with an Alpha like him it was also good that he had a strong dedication to his work. "It is not something bad and we will be helping you along the way so you don't have to worry or be nervous."

Zael's eyebrows scrunched up after hearing the elder's mysterious words. "What are you talking about? Don't be so mysterious all of sudden because my heart might not be able to accept the next things you will say."

The elder stretched out his hand to pat him in the shoulder with that same smile he had when he entered the room. "It will be a bit difficult since both you and Ceurian as a pack will need to adjust at the changes that will take place but before that I will need to make sure that the other elders will agree with this suggestion."

The more he spoke the more Zael became confused. Change? Adjust? Agree? These words continued to echo inside his mind in a loop before it finally snapped after he realized something. He stood up in shock and shook his head vigorously. He looked at the elder like he had lost his mind but the Leonides remained unfazed at the other's reaction. It was normal to be shocked so he gave him the chance to do that.

"No, no, no, no way, there's no way that you are thinking about that! Alpha Amber will definitely come back." He started to pace back and forth while taking deep breaths and combing his hair back every once in a while. "I'm not going to accept it!" He stopped on his tracks and looked at the man. "You won't be able to force me!"

"Being the next Alpha is undoubtedly challenging especially because you are not of the same blood line as the first alpha but aside from that you are still qualified in all of the other aspects, so I am hoping that you step up and take the role of Alpha for Ceurian, in return I will give you my full support and I will convince the other elders also." Elder Leonides tried to reason out in an attempt to pacify the man who was now puffing his cheeks in anger.

"No! I won't become the Alpha and that's final."