EC 14: Taking care of him

Baryo Madlaw woke up to a sunny morning and the cold breeze of the wind blew through the forest. The birds were lively as they sang in unison to wake up everyone and even the rustling of the leaves was full of energy as they welcome a new day.

Amber had not slept a wink as she was focused on his mate's steady heartbeat throughout the night which made her calm. With her senses focused on the room, she could already tell that he was awake. She also woke up and went down to the kitchen to prepare food. The chef was taken aback when he saw their Alpha moving around the kitchen and cooking early in the morning.

"Alpha, why don't you let me do it?" the chef approached her and respectfully gave her a bow.

"No need since I'm already done." Amber shook her head while placing the congee on a bowl. She then placed it on a tray together with a cup of warm coffee and three slices of buttered bread in a small plate.

The Chef looked at the meticulously prepared meal thus he was not able to stop himself from asking, "Is that for your mate?"

Ever since Zael had accidentally revealed the identity of the man, the whole of the pack had already known that the man sleeping inside the Alpha's room was her mate. It was already suspicious that they would let a human in their territory and to let him sleep on the Alpha's room, if that wasn't enough indication then their senses were useless. What the Beta had spilled that day just confirmed their suspicions.

Amber stopped on her tracks and looked back at the man with a frown. "How?"

The chef stopped smiling, "Uh, that was because the Beta accidentally voiced it out?" he then gave a nervous laugh that further gave him away.

She could only close her eyes and sigh before she shook her head and finally left the kitchen. She climbed the stairs with steady steps but as she approached her own room, her footsteps slowed. She checked the time and saw that it was already quarter to eight. She took a couple of deep breathes before she knocked and twisted the knob to open the door.

After stepping inside, she saw that her mate's eyes were focused on her so she summoned all of her will to stop herself from abandoning the food and lunging towards him. She calmed her heart and slowly walked towards the sitting area in her room and placed the tray of food on the table. She could hear the rustling of the blanket before it stopped.

"I brought your food," she spoke as calmly as she could but as she turned around, she found that her mate's eyes were focused on her. He was already sitting up on the bed with his tousled hair and a somewhat sleepy but focused eyes.

"Who are you?" he asked in curiosity. "Are you the assistant that the man, Zael, mentioned?"

Amber's eyes flashed gold but she immediately closed it to calm herself. After she was sure that her eyes will not change colors, she opened them and came eye to eye with the man. Her gaze roamed around his handsome face, his sharp jawline, red lips and perfectly shaped nose.

"I am the person in-charge of this place," was her answer.

"Why do I feel like I know you?" another confused question came from him which made him frown in the process.

His clear eyes were too mesmerizing for her that she needed to take a step back and sat on the empty couch to create a distance from him. "This is the first time that I have met you."

'It must have been the mate bond,' she thought to herself. He doesn't know it yet because he was not a werewolf but he would understand it soon. She would slowly explain all of it to him.

The frown on Xander's face deepened after hearing the response but he could not see any signs of lies from her face and he felt that she was really telling the truth.

"Why don't you eat first then I will explain what happened prior to saving you," Amber gestured to the food. "I'll return after you eat."

She stood up and silently put the bed table in front of Xander then she went to pick up the tray of food and placed it on top of the table before she left the room without giving him a glance. He watched all this play out in front of him with a dumbfounded look on his face as he stared blankly at the food. He suddenly felt like not eating at all but at the same time there was a voice in his mind telling him that he should not disappoint the woman who gave him the food. Reluctantly, he picked up the spoon and started to eat.

"Good morning, Alpha. I did not expect to find you here." Zael was surprised when he saw Amber coming out from her room with a cold expression on her face. "Did something happen?" he asked in concern. He looked at the door behind her then looked at the Alpha's face again.

"Nothing. I just brought him his food so you don't have to send someone to do it. From now on, I'll be doing that just let the assistant check on his wound." The command was firm and did not give any room for question. Her stern face and the aura around her also prevented Zael from asking why.

"I understand then I'll let Misa check on his wound later," he nodded and informed her about the check-up. "Will you be there too?"

Amber simply nodded before signaling with her hand that he should already go. "Go and do what you have to do."

Zael looked at her like she had gone crazy before he turned around and walked away. He then remembered that the mayor had once again called. Before he could forget, Zael turned around and called out the Alpha who was about to enter her study, "By the way, please call the mayor already. He had been pestering me these past few days since you had refused to call him these couple of days. Now that your mate is awake, isn't it the time to inform the mayor of the situation?"

Amber sighed and rubbed her head, "Alright, I'll call him later."

After Zael left, Amber fixed her posture and stood with her back in front of the door like a guard while she was busy talking with her wolf who became restless the moment, they left the room.

'Isn't he done yet?' she asked while pacing inside Amber's mind.

"Let's wait for a while, we need to be patient especially you. We were almost caught a while ago, luckily, I was able to close my eyes in time or else he would have noticed," they were truly lucky but she was not sure if they would be that lucky in the future.

'You can't blame me! I could feel your emotion and I was swept away!' she answered and Amber could already imagine the smirk on her wolf.

They stood there for a while and when she raised her wrist to check the time, she saw that it was already an hour. She could also feel the presence of the assistant and Zayier walking up the stairs.

She opened the door in time to see the assistant and Zayier, "Thank you for coming MIsa," she greeted the both of them. Misa and Zayier were surprised to find the Alpha waiting for them but still they inclined their heads in response to her.

"Dr. Silver had informed me of the current situation and I'll be careful. Leave his care to me Alpha," she smiled and even grinned.

Amber nodded, satisfied with the girl's answer. "I left him eating a while ago and it has been hour so he might be finished now." Amber turned around and once again knocked on the door before opening it. Her gaze went to the bed and saw that the food was already gone but her mate was nowhere to be found.