EC 40: His Family

Seeing that the situation was not looking good, Zael was about to step in when both of them heard Mykel speak once again. "With all due respect, it is my business. Xander is foremost human before he is your mate as you are an Alpha before you are his mate. Before he became your mate, he had his life in this side of the world. Did you know? He is the CEO of a successful company and without his friend's support, that company might have been snatched away by greedy people because he had disappeared. Even though he had appeared again, those greedy people are still looking for something they could use to discredit him. He is also a sought-after engineer and is currently involved in a project which had been delayed because he did not show up and when he showed up, he had no way to oversee the project personally. Most of all he is a brother to a ten-year-old child who had lost her parents and now she had to live away from her only family." Those words made her unable to speak and when she wanted to defend herself the mayor spoke again without stopping. "You are being selfish right now Alpha and have you ever considered your mate's feelings when you decided to keep him locked up in Ceurian? Bear in mind that he is not a werewolf."

He then stood up and left his office without looking back. He had nothing more to say and it is up to the Alpha if she would heed his advice or not. There was one thing that he learned from living with humans all those years. Although they can adapt to change easily, humans were more emotional and would not lose the feeling of longing for those things that were precious to them.

Amber and Zael were left in an awkward silence after Mykel left. The Alpha pursed her lips without speaking even after ten minutes had already passed. Zael on the other hand was also silent because he did not know what he should say in that kind of situation. In his opinion, the mayor was right but he can't go against the Alpha's orders.

Another ten minutes had passed before the Alpha stood up and left the mayor's office. Mykel had never talked to her in that way before thus it came as a surprise for her to hear those words from him. His words had clearly pointed out her insecurities and she had a difficult time accepting it. It was the same as Zael's words earlier thus she was even more ticked because Mykel's statement had spelled out her guilt.

They stepped out from the office and walked down the hallway where they could see the reception area before entering the mayor's office and before that was a sitting area where visitors could rest while waiting for their appointment. Both of them gave a nod towards the lady behind the reception desk when Amber heard Mykel's voice from the waiting area.

"I'm sorry that I could not meet you in my office, something came up and we are a bit busy," his voice was very apologetic to the person he was talking to.

"Ah is that so, sorry for coming here again to disturb you. Xerra had been nagging me all day yesterday to come, she was hoping that you have changed your mind," Carl gave an awkward smile while squeezing Xerra's hand who had become disappointed once again. "She really wanted to see her brother but Xander had been refusing to come and see us. Although I don't understand what is the reason for Xander's inability to come, we were hoping that we can go and see him instead."

"I'm really sorry that I cannot grant your request. It is best to wait for Engr. Xander to come to you. I know that you must have been disappointed with me but I can't really do anything right now just know that the engineer is in good hands." Amber could see the mayor forcing his smile even though he was feeling displeased after disappointing their request once again.

Amber's gaze then focused on the other two, one was a man about Xander's age, with brown hair and hazel eyes. He had been holding the child's hand the whole time that he was speaking with the mayor. Her gaze lingered longer on the child beside him, she had a long black curly hair and she was wearing a blue dress. Amber could see the resemblance between her and Xander so she had assumed that this was his brother.

She remained silent but Amber could see that her eyes had turned glassy as tears were about to fall but it did not continue since she took a deep breath and stopped herself from crying. Mykel's words once again roared inside her head as it reminded her of what Xander has left behind.

Without thinking much about it, she stepped towards them which surprised Zael. "Alpha where are you going?" he whispered as he hastily followed behind.

His question came unanswered as the Alpha had already reached where the mayor and the two visitors were sitting. "Mayor, can you please introduce them to me?" she called out with a smile on her face.

Amber saw the surprise in his face and his eyes looking at him as if asking her what was she doing but she ignored all of this. She stood there and waited for him to introduce the two guests.

Sighing, Mykel stood up and the action was followed by Carl who also stood up. "This is Architect Carl Villegas and the child with him is Xerra Amara Castillo. They are here to inquire about Xerra's brother."

The Alpha nodded, so this was the person whom Xander had been speaking for in the past few days and she was his sister. "I'm Amber Claire de Lune. Your brother is currently under my wings so you should not worry about him that much." She was looking at Xerra while saying those words and saw her bit her lips before speaking.

"Is he really, okay? Will I be able to see him in person?" she asked in anticipation, although Amber hated to crush that anticipation, she needed to do it, just for now.

"Yes, he is. You will be able to see him soon but not right now, is that okay with you? In return I will send him any message you want to tell him personally." She crouched down to be on a level with the child's eyes.

There was disappointment and hesitation on her blue eyes, Amber could see it. The child had been sad for a long time and she was part of the cause of it. It seems that she should think of a way to compensate her in the future.

"O-okay then," the was reluctant to agree but there was nothing she could do since this woman could send his brother a message. "Can you tell him that I miss him so much and that I love him so I'll be waiting for him to come and get me."

"Alright I'll tell him what you told me. Don't be too sad because next time you'll definitely see him again," she ruffled her hair, "you'll be seeing each other again." She stood up and looked at the man who had remained silent till now.

"Thank you for saving Xander and I really hope that we will be able to see him again." There was neither warmth nor friendliness on Carl's voice but strangely enough Amber understood why. Normally she would snap at how this human was speaking to her but she remained calm and gave him a nod instead.

"Yes," was her only answer before she bid them goodbye and left with Zael. The looks that both the mayor and Zael were giving her did not escape her notice but she still chose to ignore the both of them.

Before they could fully walk out of the room, they heard the child's voice. "Are you my brother's girlfriend?"

The sudden question made the entire room silent as a response, Amber slowly turned around and winked at the child. Instead of a smile, Xerra gave the woman a grin after seeing the woman's actions.

Thus, even though it was difficult, she had silently admitted that she was wrong. She would make this right after the conference so as to not create any distance between her and Xander in the future. She did not want this to be one of the grudges that would hinder their relationship.

Her afternoon was busy as they made sure that the venue, they were about to use was safe. Zael had no time to talk to the Alpha as she was firmly refusing to talk to him that he had no choice but to let it go. Both of them walked around the hotel to make sure that no enemy was lingering in the place. After that, the Alpha went to rest without speaking to Zael and he did not bother her any longer since she must have a lot of things in her mind right now.

Zael was right, Amber had many things on her mind that night. Xander's sister was refreshing and cute. That question right before they left made her blush and that grin made her heart at ease. It seems that she would get along with that sister of his, the only problem would be that man but she was sure that his mind would change when they will officially meet.

For now, she needed to focus on the conference after that she can talk to Xander about this matter. Too much, she should rest for the conference tomorrow because she was sure that it would be tiring.