EC 87: Heir

The elder just nodded and let them take him away. At the very beginning he was not sure if this will work but he did not want to not try anything. He looked at the restrained silver wolf and sighed in his heart for this pitiful child. She lost her parents young and was thrown into the role of an Alpha even though she was not yet ready. She almost lost all hope of finding her mate and when she finally had him, he was human now she even lost that. He shook his head and hoped that the man could be saved.

He knew that the vampire king's legacy in the heart Lurea was not a legend and that they were tasked to protect it until the vampire king's successor appears but even after how many years there was no one who was compatible with the vampire king's blood thus it remained hidden and became a legend. He was purely taking his chance by bringing the Alpha's mate for even a little bit of chance and now all they could do was wait for the result.

Xander's body floated towards the black castle in the middle of the woods together with the two voices who used their magic to carry him. After a while, a young woman dressed in a black dress appeared beside the body as it curiously stared at the man. She was tilting her head from side to side while observing and at the same time sniffing the air around them.

"I told you, I really smelled something different from him. It was sweet and very similar to what I have smelled a long time ago," she insisted while pointing at the man. She raised her head and look at the opposite side with a frown on her face.

Another woman who was a bit taller than the other appeared, she was wearing a red dress and clearly, she was the older one from the two. "I don't know what you are talking about." She shook her head because she had no idea what her sister was talking about. She was pure mage but her sister was a half-blood so her sense of smell was much stronger than her.

The younger was still lost in thought for a couple of minutes before she suddenly jumped in excitement. The older sister was startled at her sudden action and looked at her in confusion.

"I remember now! This smell is similar to 'that'! They both smell sweet." Her eyes were so wide to the point that he older one could already see sparkles from them.

She was confused at first but before she fully processed her sister's words, her eyes also widened in surprise. "Are you sure about that?" If it was true then they don't need to wait anymore but before she got overly excited a problem came up. "But he is human," the smile on her face disappeared and the excitement from before disappeared.

"Can't that be?" her younger sister asked with her head tilted. She casted a glance at the man once again then looked at her sister. "Then if it's not him, are we going to wait again?" her voice got softer with her head bowed down even her shoulders were now slumped.

The older one reached out and gently patted her sister's back, "Don't get your hopes up. Maybe even though they smell the same it's not necessary that he is the one so we should not anticipate so much."

The younger sister could only nod and the once cheerful atmosphere completely disappeared after that conversation until they reached the palace's gate where Amber once stood. They looked at the imposing black structure that had served as their home for so many years now since they can't leave the woods because 'that' was still there. The only way for them to be free was to wait for the right one to come and inherit the vampire king's legacy.

Using a sharp wind, the older sister cut the man's skin to let the blood flow while the other sister conjured a container to catch the blood. After enough blood was collected, they poured it at the center of the stone door to see if the door would react. They waited for a while but there seemed to be no reaction from the door but when they were about to sigh in disappointment, the blood slowly flowed through the root like carving on the door.

Both of them were surprised at what happened as they stood there in a stupor while looking as the blood slowly filled all the tiny crevices making it red. A loud noise came from the door after the blood filled all of the crevices. The sound coming from the cogs that were starting to move after so many years were like thunders that it even made the ground shook.

Elder Veron was also startled at the loud noise that was coming from the direction where they disappeared too and even the growling silver wolf was stunned to silence as it also looked at the direction where the loud noise was coming from. The urge to follow them overcame Veron but thankfully he was able to stop himself because even to him, that place was a mystery and no one can enter that place unless you were permitted to do so. He steeled himself and remained in his place.

It took longer for the door to fully open because of how long it was closed but every moment that the opening got wider, the anticipation in both the mages grew because the moment they have been waiting for has finally come. Two pairs of eyes could not help but look at Xander's body in admiration and confusion because they never thought that a human's blood can trigger the door.

For the second time, Xander's body floated and followed the two sisters to enter the palace and through the winding hallways and complicated path filled with torches of fire, they finally reached the center of the black castle. At the center was a stand with a floating liquid on it, it was surrounded by four pillars that at first glance it seemed like each one was holding a piece of glass to enclose that treasure but the longer one would look at it, they will discover that it was not actually a glass but a thin layer of water and it was not an ordinary water. It was designed to dissolve its content if an intruder or a person that was not chose were going to try and claim it that way it will not fall into anyone's hand.

"Even after so many years, I'm still amazed by this place," the older sister looked around as she could still feel the presence of magic inside. Though the glass container was designed that way, before anyone can reach the place, they will first need to get past through the magic traps that were placed inside the castle.

"We've only seen it once and this is the second time but I still don't like this place," the younger sister grinned at her which made the older sister laugh. "So, what should we do now? That person can't stand." At those words, both of them looked at the body behind them.

The older sister could only sigh, "Let's just lift him up and make him move his hands using magic then let's see what happens." The younger sister nodded so they did what they should as the body slowly stood up and reached out for the glass container. The sisters waited with bated breath as the man's cold hands slowly breached the water barrier and touched the wriggling substance inside.

This red substance was exactly the vampire king's legacy. It was left behind after he went to sleep for eternity. It contained his power that is the reason why it was coveted by many but because no one was able to get their hands on that precious item, they slowly forgot about it but there were still those who tried to take it but miserably failed. There was also a story that only those who were from his bloodline were the ones who can have it but still none of them were able to obtain it.

The only people who knew about the requirements of how one can obtain the blood were the assigned guardians of the black palace, Feliz and Lazuli. Feliz was a pure mage that was only a teen when the vampire king died and her younger sister Lazuli was much younger than her. The role of guardians was first given to their parents but after a few years, they were given the task and their parents together with the other mages disappeared. They tried to leave and look for them but then they realized that they were bound to that place.

Now that the vampire king's blood had acknowledge someone, it only means one thing. This person has all the requirements to claim the legacy. Feliz and Lazuli looked at each other in joy because finally they can leave that place and even though they were bound to serve the heir of the vampire king it was still better than being stuck in a single place.