EC 43: A Glimpse

On one of the hotels in Cartnan, a man was standing behind the floor to ceiling window of the room he was currently in. In his hand was a glass of wine that he had been drinking while looking at the night view of the city. There was a satisfied smile on his face while he was enjoying the scenery.

A knock echoed inside the room and a silhouette opened the door to let the person in. He strode in like he was the owner of the room and flopped on the couch behind the man.

"How did it go?" the man who had been holding the glass asked after a short span of silence.

"Well, what do you think?" the man who just entered asked in return instead. He was sure that the man already knew what had happened in the conference. He was a man with connections so there was no need to tell him directly what happened.

"That woman is quite feisty. I did not expect her to become an Alpha with such personality." The man turned around as he placed the glass of wine on the table and sat on the empty seat in front of his guest.

This guest looked at the man's handsome face and shook his head. It did not occur to him that a man with such a face could be someone evil. He was not even sure if he was lucky or not to meet this man.

"Is there something on my face?" the man asked after he noticed that his guest was focused on his face instead.

The guest shook his head, "Nothing I just did not expect that such an angelic face hides a rotten personality."

The man laughed out loud at those words, "You can't always judge a book by its cover besides this face is very helpful in many ways."

"Cunning bastard," the guest sighed as he picked up one of the glasses filled with wine and chugged it down.

"Well, I hope that you will continue to do a good job for me," the man crossed his legs and leaned on the chair with his signature smile, which to anyone would look like amiable and bright but in reality, it was only something to cover his evilness.

"As long as I get the proper compensation then I will continue to work for you," the guest himself also smiled. He then filled his glass with wine and raised it to have a toast with his employer.

The man gave him a nod and watched as his guest drank all of the expensive wine that he had prepared for himself. "Keep in touch then. Contact me anytime once you find something interesting."

"Don't worry I'll do that. Oh, and by the way thank you for the wine." He raised the empty cup then flipped it upside down on the table before he stood up and left.

The man watched as a drop of the red wine stained the white surface of the table. "Soon, that snow white façade you have will be stained with blood." A crazy smile appeared on his face at his own thoughts. At that moment the room was filled with silence, he then left to wait for some good news.

Amber and her entourage stayed in the city for one more day before they returned to Ceurian. "Welcome back Alpha." Elder Zita greeted, she stood in front of the pack house together with the other elders to welcome Amber and the others. They received the news that the conference was successful which meant that the problem with the rogues will be dealt with in the next few months.

"Thank you," she looked around to look for that specific person but she did not find him. She was a bit disappointed but there was nothing she could do if he was not there.

Elder Zita noticed that the Alpha's eyes was not looking at them and she realized who she was looking for, "Your mate is not here. I heard that he is currently in a virtual meeting. He had expressed his interest in joining us to wait for you but something urgent came up thus he needed to deal with it first."

"Ah," Amber was a bit surprised that it was the elder who spoke. "I understand, then I won't look for him. Let's proceed to our meeting then."

"Your mate, he's very accommodating." Elder Zita commented with a smile as they walked towards the pack house's conference room. Amber needed to take a double look to make sure that the elder was not joking but instead she saw her smiling. The usually uptight woman was smiling while talking about her mate.

"It seems that you have interacted with him. It is good that you have a good opinion about him." After her shock, she smiled.

"Well, he is an amiable person and easy to talk with that is why I was wondering why are you not officially announcing him as your mate and did not even formally introduce him to us," she stopped walking then faced the Alpha with a questioning look. They were waiting for her to introduce him and had not pushed her to do so because they respected her decision.

"That is because he is human and I was not sure if I should introduce him when he still has not recognized me as his mate. Well, he had warmed up to me but the concept is a little bit difficult to accept since he is someone that did not grow up here. But I'm feeling that that the day when I will be formally introducing him is near, so pleas wait for it for a bit. I hope that the other elders will understand." Amber's cold face loosened as she was talked about her mate and this did not escape the elder's sharp eyes. Having mates does great things to a person and she had witnessed a woman who was groomed to be an Alpha expressing emotions that were supposed to be normal for everyone, including them as werewolves.

"Then, we will be waiting for that time." Elder Zita gave her a nod before they continue to their destination.

Her meeting with the elders went smoothly as Amber had relayed everything that had happened during the conference. Even the matter of her overseeing the team that would conduct the investigation behind the matter of the rogues.

After that she was busy with accepting the people who were sent by each pack to be a member of the special investigation team. Ceurian had been busy accepting these visitors of course they were also thoroughly screened in order to make sure of their credibility.

"The pack is unusually busy, did something happen?" Xander asked Zael who happened to pass by. He knew that Amber had returned yesterday but he did not have the time to see her at all because both of them were busy.

"Yes, that's because we have visitors that needed to be accommodated and the Alpha is currently welcoming them, so it should be busy until tomorrow," he answered. Since they were busy, Xander did no keep him any longer. He also stayed away from the pack house for now and stayed with the children at the pack center until dinner.

He had looked at his watch multiple times but he did not get up to leave. The aunties noticed his restlessness. "Aren't you going back? The children had all gone home."

"Ah, yes I'll be going now." He stood up but he lingered a bit more outside of the children's house. He was a bit reluctant to return because of the guests who were in the pack house. He would only feel awkward if he was there but if he did not go back there was no other place that he could stay.

After debating with himself for a while, he just resigned to himself to go back. There was nothing he could do about it. Xander took his time in going back that it took him almost an hour to return and with the dark sky as his background.

He emerged from the path and saw that the pack house was brightly lit but there was one thing that caught his attention, it was the silhouette standing in the entrance of the pack house. Xander did not expect to see her there as if she was waiting for her.

"What happened? Why were you so late?" she asked as he was approaching. Xander was surprised at the sudden question.

"Were you waiting for me?" he asked with a surprised expression on his face. This was a bit unexpected and that made him unable to react or rather he did not know how to react.

"Yes. I noticed that you were not yet home so I got a little bit worried and decided to stay here and wait for you." There was a frown on her face but Xander found this strangely cute and her actions very heart warming.