EC 39: Conference

Their days passed by as usual as Amber also became busy with the pack as sightings of rogues had become rampant around the pack. It started out to be just regular sightings where the patrol could only spot one or two rogues but then their number slowly increased thus the warriors were on high alert inside the community and on the borders.

Amber had been going to and from the borders almost every day at the news that these rogues had started to gather around the pack once again. Call it instinct, but Amber knew that these rogues do not bring any good news, not for them and not for the other packs. Zael had been receiving messages and information that the other packs were of the same situation as they were right now. Some of them had also suspected that it must have been related to the attack on Yulian.

Because of this, many packs including Ceurian had been on two online conferences to address the issue. Despite their efforts there was still no conclusive solution to the current problem thus Amber suggested that they should hold another conference but this time she requested that all of the Alphas should meet face to face.

The conference was finalized and with the help of Mayor Mykel, the place and time were set. They found a neutral place to do the conference to avoid any misunderstanding nor power struggle. Conferences between packs were better done in a place where no one would dare to do make trouble and that place was in the middle of human society. Any Alpha would think twice before creating any ruckus in such a place since they would be prioritizing their pack's safety now that they were faced with the matter of the rogues.

"Will everything be fine after the conference?" Xander asked as he watched them preparing for the meeting. It was Amber's idea, so they would be leaving early to make sure that the venue was safe.

During those days, Xander had not stayed in the dark too regarding the rogues. They slowly explained to him the situation and even told him that the attack on them that day when he was injured was done by some rogues.

"We hope so," Zael answered in behalf of the Alpha who was focused on finishing her work before they leave.

The night when he learned that they were going to the city center for a conference had made his heart beat fast. He wanted to ask her if he could go with them but after seeing the Alpha's serious face, he had no heart to make such a request. Xander then gave up on the idea since it was not the right time to ask her of that favor. He had noticed it, for days, the pack had been high strung because of the issue of those rogues and he did not want to add to that problem.

"Then I hope this conference will be successful," he genuinely wished for them to succeed since the safety of many was at stake. "I'll wait here for the good news."

Amber looked up and smiled at him, even though she was focused she still could hear their conversation. To hear him say those words sincerely made her heart flutter. He was really a good man and she liked that about him. All this time, he had been understanding despite all of the arguments they had in the past and that incident when he attempted to escape.

"Thank you, I'll make sure to bring you good news," she gave him a confident smile.

After Amber finished everything, she should take care of, they left. Although she was gone, she had entrusted the pack to Elder Zita as its overseer while she was gone. Zayier was also left since he was in-charge of the pack's safety.

"Take care," he bid them goodbye and Amber smiled at him to reassure him.

Their entourage was composed of twenty pack warriors to ensure the safety of the venue and to be the Alpha's guard although she really didn't need one. Amber looked behind until the pack house was no longer seen.

"Are you reluctant to leave your mate behind?" Zael suddenly spoke from the front seat with that silly grin on his face.

Amber clicked her tongue before giving the man a glare, "Stop with your teasing. It's not that I am reluctant to leave him, I'm just feeling a little bit guilty."

Zael looked at her in confusion, "Why would you suddenly feel guilty? Did you do something bad to your mate?" he asked after seeing the woman's troubled face.

"It's because we are going to the city and yet I did not have the heart to invite him to join us. He had been staying with us for two months now and our relationship had certainly improved but there is still a lingering fear in my heart." She looked outside the car windows at the passing trees as it disappeared the closer, they got to the main road.

The inside of the car fell into silence after the Alpha's words. Zael and the driver did not speak as they don't know what to say, also, they knew that the Alpha was not saying all of that to get sympathy from them.

After almost an hour of travel, they finally reached the city's municipal hall and before Amber alighted from the car, she suddenly heard Zael, "You can always let him go home, he had been accepting of us and he's been true to his words so there's nothing wrong if you let him go home for a while. You can think about it, Alpha."

Amber did not respond, she just pushed open the door and got out of the car. She could already see Mykel waiting for her outside of the municipal hall.

"Welcome, I am glad to finally see you after a very long time," he deliberately emphasized on the word 'very' while there was a wide grin on his face.

Amber ignored his rhetoric instead and answered him lightheartedly. "Yes, I am also happy to finally meet you again."

Mykel maintained his smile even though he was already getting annoyed with the woman who had not called him once. If not for Zael's weekly updates, he would be at a loss on how to deal with Xander's family who would come every now and then to ask him if he knew where he was.

He laughed and clasped the woman's hands, "Then shall we go upstairs and catch up with each other?" He then took a step to the side and gestured for them to enter. They walked through the spacious lobby of the municipal hall until they came to the elevator which was already opened for them.

The tension had slowly risen while they were still inside the elevator and now that they were inside the mayor's office, Mykel could not help himself from sighing. It was only receiving Amber but he already felt all of his energy drained. On the other hand, Amber took a seat on the couch and calmly drank the juice that was served by the mayor's secretary before she left them alone.

"You have created a lot of mess for me Alpha, how will you compensate me?" he asked with his eyes closed.

"I apologize and as for the compensation, there is nothing I can do for you right now besides why do you still need compensation when you have been benefitting from being a member of my pack?"

He sighed once again and opened his eyes, "Why aren't you letting Engr. Xander go home? Well, I know that he is your mate but do you really need to keep him in Ceurian when he has his own life here? He even has a little sister which was left behind because of his disappearance. Both of them lost their parents and now the child was apart from the only family she had! His family has been coming here once a week to ask me where he is because although they were able to talk with him through the phone, it is still better to see him in person." What the Alpha was doing right now was repressing her mate from the freedom that he should have. He had no time to tell her all of this because every time he asked for her, Zael would tell him that she was busy. He was about to open his mouth once again but Amber spoke up with her brows furrowed.

"Stop, whatever you are going to say, don't continue. I am well aware of my actions and there is a reason as to why Xander can't return for now but in the future, I will allow him to do so." She was now annoyed because of the mayor's words. She gritted her teeth and clenched her fists to control the anger in her from bursting out.

The mayor can't tolerate this kind of attitude from their Alpha, yes, the man was her mate but he has his own thoughts too. "Why?" was his only question.

"It's none of your business. He is my mate so you don't have the right to lecture me on what I should or should not do." She replied that had almost turned into a growl.