Chapter 7: The Rockstar Dealmaker

Kennison Unlimited Towers, Financial District, Baltiney, New York...

        The ride in the elevator following his trip from the parking garage had been a rather tedious one as Ken had been having quite the time fixing his tie and making himself more presentable before he inevitably had to run into his father who had been no doubt waiting for his line of questions. He had vaguely recalled him saying something about someone wanting to speak to him in person about a few amendments to a contract negotiation and that the person wishing to see him had not taken no for an answer.

At the time Ken had been thinking with his lower head and anticipating the lunch break so he could make Val scream before having to return to paperwork and desk pushing in a bid to make his father happy. He had become even more of a helicopter parent since the accident and refused to allow Ken any room to breathe and of course, found himself in trouble, sadly Coleman couldn't be everywhere at all times so Ken managed to find time to get into trouble no matter how many times his father established that it had not been good for business.

The moment the silver doors opened he'd been forced to endure the company of one of his father's assistants, Carl Webber, a certified nerd and numbers pusher who had been high on Coleman's payroll and of course an unofficial babysitter for Ken whenever the old man saw fit. Carl had been an average-sized man with a thin build and thick cokebottle glasses with dark brown frames. He had been always present with his pocket full of pens and pencils at a moment's notice which always caused Ken to roll his eyes. Some of his best excuses had been about needing a pen or pencil in a bid to find himself escaping conversations and rooms with too many people.

Carl's less than interesting short cropped red hair and freckles had left something to be desired as he approached Ken the moment he stepped out of the elevator no doubt as Coleman had instructed him.

"M-Mister Kennison....we have an emergency....the contract negotiations for his latest acquisition are hinging on you meeting with the negotiator for the premiere company." stammered Carl much to Ken's annoyance.

"Calm down Carl, what's the damage and who do I have to speak to, to get the ball rolling here?" asked Ken almost immediately taking on his professional persona now that he'd been at the office.

It had been a relatively smooth transition given his deep baritone voice and confidence courtesy of his recent hit of "powdered sugar" as he called it. His eyes had been giddy but nothing that couldn't be masked with the excitement of having a deal with a good deal of money to be made.

Carl seemed to be out of his element as he looked over the file in his hand.

"It appears The Shrouder Brothers have enlisted the assistance of Evelyn Towers," he replied as if shaken.

"Evelyn Towers?" asked Ken before a rather sly smile filed across his handsome face. "And here I thought this was going to be a problem."

Carl seemed confused by his response.

"Sir?" he asked with an arched brow.

Eveyln had something of a reputation for being a shark when it came to legal arrangements and company protection. She had been one of the best women in her field and her price tag wasn't at all cheap, people only hired her if they wanted the best of the best, and going up against Ryker Kennison one needed the best given his business reputation and shark-like qualities when he smelled blood in the water so to speak.

Sadly for The Shrouder Brothers of Shrouder Co, Ken had been more than prepared to deal with Evelyn Towers as she'd always been second best when it came to their field of expertise but not due to her lack of negotiation skills, it was simply that Ken despite being a rather dastardly scoundrel was better at it than her or anyone else especially when it came to her.