Chapter 35: Shooting The Breeze

Vic's Diner, 12th and Central, Baltiney New York...

        Careful clanking of silverware against plates echoed throughout the diner amid chatter and chewing. Dean continued to enjoy his pancakes as Ken finished his steak and eggs. The younger lad observed the less-than-ideal manner in which Ken ate relatively sloppily as if he had not a care in the world for how the rest of the people would perceive him. The music that had been playing in the background got Ken's attention and then Dean's as he realized it was the same thing that Ken had been blasting in his car on the way to the diner. The lad was amused to see Ken suddenly start drumming with his knife and fork to the music despite being nearly done with his food.

"Good food and good music, what more could a man ask for," said Ken as he got into the drumming as Dean watched trying his hardest to stifle a laugh or two.

Ken had a notorious sense of humor, despite everyone around him not at all understanding that he had never intended to come off as funny, just being himself without all the care of who wanted it otherwise.

The people of Baltiney knew who he was all too well, but the lower dregs of society had only known Ken, the comical rich sloppy dresser who spent a good deal of money in places that the service didn't require it of his own volution. To the people around them, one could have easily seen their relationship as mentor teacher or some rich schmuck taking pity on a homeless urchin. Dean had been looking a bit scrawny after all and his clothes had not been anywhere near in fashion. Yet here had been the wealthiest man in the region spending time with him and buying him food.

Ken had turned his attention to flirting with a new waitress who had come to refill his coffee on cue knowing how the diner seemed to dote on Ken bringing him whatever he asked in the hopes that he'd tip big once he took off from them.

He watched her pour his drink and the flash of lust had been unmistakable as Dean attempted to seem unbothered by it which only made Ken grin and wink at him before taking a sip of his coffee as the waitress took her leave of them.

"No need for the claws to come out just yet, I'm only havin' a bit of harmless fun," remarked Ken drinking his coffee and studying Dean's red face once again as he winked at him.

Dean turned his attention to the last of his pancakes and orange juice. He had not known how Ken was able to easily get under his skin but he had done so with ease. The level of attachment to the older man had been something that Dean had not anticipated when he had agreed to their arrangement and it slowly began to unnerve him. He dropped his fork and bent down to pick it up spilling his orange juice all over the front of his jeans.

Ken had beat him to the punch as he came around the booth and scooped up the knife and cup just as a rather nervous and highly embarrassed Dean reached for it. Ken had been a big believer in pushing the envelope when it came to his antics and as a result, he caught the uneasy lad in a surprise quick kiss before smirking at his reaction when he bumped his head against the table.

"Amazing that I can make you both wet and nervous all at the same time," he remarked where only Dean's ears could pick up what he'd been saying.

The redness continued to spread across Dean's handsome pale face as he resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

"Where's the restroom?" he asked quickly composing himself for a quick exit as he felt all the eyes on him in the diner.

Ken made it back to his seat and motioned in the direction of the diner's bathrooms.

Dean quickly got to his feet and attempted to move toward it still rather nervous about the people looking at him and how Ken being the horny bastard he'd always been made him flustered in the wake of it.